Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Depression/anxiety moms... what medicines work for you?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have finally decided to go to the doctor because this is getting out of hand... That said, I don't want to become a walking zombie. Are there any medications out there that leave you fully functional, have energy, and still help you feel calmer?

I'd rather be depressed and upset with my mind and energy intact.... that is why I have put off seeing the doctor for so long. I don't want a medicine that will make me sleep all day.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM
I take cymbalta, seroquil, respidol, vybrid and vailum. I have lots of energy now
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I thought Zoloft only works when its taken consecutively for two weeks or more?

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Zoloft works best for me. But I only take it when I need it. Not on a daily.

I just take it for the calming effect as I get very irritable at times.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I have been on Wellbutrin for depression for 3 yrs I am off of it now because i'm pregnant but it gave me a lot of energy and NO weight gain. I was also on klonapin for anxiety and sleep meds for insomnia. Yeah i was a mess lol but Wellbutrin worked well for me. You just need to find what works for you <3 good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Make sure you see a Psychiatrist and not a Psychologist first of all. 

Zoloft works, as long as you take the right amount.  Won't make you a zombie.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

The only thing that has ever fully worked for me is Cognative Behavioral Therapy, proper diet and plenty of exercise. I have been off of meds for 5 years now and I'm doing great. The therapy is amazing once it "clicks" but it took a while for everything to just sink in and even longer for me to start using the things I learned. But once it started it went fast and I'm so glad I did it. I highly reccomend it.

anikahaynes1
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Cymbalta
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM

So far Wellbutrin/Zyban has been doing its job. Zoloft never worked for me for some odd reason.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM
None worked for me. I smoke pot for my anxiety.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM

yes that is correct. Zoloft and any other prescribed anxiety/depression medicine is not a use as you think you need it type of drug. She is only getting the "imaginary effects" from taking a pill (just as if it were a placebo)

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought Zoloft only works when its taken consecutively for two weeks or more?

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Zoloft works best for me. But I only take it when I need it. Not on a daily.

I just take it for the calming effect as I get very irritable at times.

ajean1
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

You have to just keep trying. It can take awhile to find the right medicine. Just keep at it, it's worth it. I was on Zoloft and celexa but they left me feeling numb (not emotional at all).  I just started lamictal but that's not really for depression or anxiety. Still trying to find the right thing for anxiety.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)