Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Depression/anxiety moms... what medicines work for you?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have finally decided to go to the doctor because this is getting out of hand... That said, I don't want to become a walking zombie. Are there any medications out there that leave you fully functional, have energy, and still help you feel calmer?

I'd rather be depressed and upset with my mind and energy intact.... that is why I have put off seeing the doctor for so long. I don't want a medicine that will make me sleep all day.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
Ilovepink1227
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Lexapro, but I makes me gain too much weight
ajean1
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Did the buspar help? I tried taking that but it made me so nauseous and dizzy I couldn't get up for at least an hour.  I was disappointed because I really wanted it to work.

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

There are so many different kinds of meds. Talk to your doctor and let him know your concerns. You may have to play around with the dose at first but once you get it right, you'll feel better. 

Also, you have to understand they aren't a cure all pill. I used to expect my pills to do all the work. Also, a lot of them have sexual side effects that suck! Some have weight gain as well. 

I'm on Viibryd and Buspar. Viibryd is really new and it's hard to get authorization for but since I've been on at least 10 different meds, it was easy for me to get approval. 

I'm actually trying to come off meds, it's a slow process and I'm not even sure how well it will work but I'll be trying exercise, vitamins and eating healthy. No processed, GMO crap. 

xoxRachelxox
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Do you take your dose twice a day? Or all at once? 

I take one at night before bed and another one in the morning. I'm on 30mg. 

Quoting ajean1:

Did the buspar help? I tried taking that but it made me so nauseous and dizzy I couldn't get up for at least an hour.  I was disappointed because I really wanted it to work.

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

There are so many different kinds of meds. Talk to your doctor and let him know your concerns. You may have to play around with the dose at first but once you get it right, you'll feel better. 

Also, you have to understand they aren't a cure all pill. I used to expect my pills to do all the work. Also, a lot of them have sexual side effects that suck! Some have weight gain as well. 

I'm on Viibryd and Buspar. Viibryd is really new and it's hard to get authorization for but since I've been on at least 10 different meds, it was easy for me to get approval. 

I'm actually trying to come off meds, it's a slow process and I'm not even sure how well it will work but I'll be trying exercise, vitamins and eating healthy. No processed, GMO crap. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I wish you luck, I've tried a few that didn't help and seem to have made things worse. I hate that I even started, I want to completely get off, and may have to soon due to insurance issues. Withdrawal is hell. I'm going to try vitamins, I'm sick of taking pills that ultimately don't work, and cause terrible side effects.
Grumpylilpixy
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM

For depression. I don't have depression unless there is something depressing going on in my life. Then I will take it to help me through the weeks. The dr's tell me this and when I am inform them how I take it. They have an amazed look on their face. If it had no effect on me if it didn't work that way. Why would I even take it.

But if you have an actual disorder no zoloft probably won't work if depression is chronic.

It was given to me for PMDD. But as I am losing weight I am find this is really lightening up as well.

But it does work if I take it once in awhile to take the edge off and relax me a bit.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought Zoloft only works when its taken consecutively for two weeks or more?

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Zoloft works best for me. But I only take it when I need it. Not on a daily.

I just take it for the calming effect as I get very irritable at times.

I am a friend, a wife,a daughter but the best title I have by far is Mother .

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Klonopin and Ambien.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Have you tried Cognative Behavioral Therapy. It worked wonders for me and is the reason I have been Med free for 5 years and doing great. Well, that and proper diet and exercise. It's amazing what even a few small changes to your diet can do for your mood. Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

I wish you luck, I've tried a few that didn't help and seem to have made things worse. I hate that I even started, I want to completely get off, and may have to soon due to insurance issues. Withdrawal is hell. I'm going to try vitamins, I'm sick of taking pills that ultimately don't work, and cause terrible side effects.

AF2011
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Lithum, risipdone, and klonpin are what I'm on but they're not really working.
OCALAMOMOFTWINS
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I decided that I don't want to be on anything long term, so I just take Xanax to take the edge off anxiety. When the situation that is causing the problem calms down, I will stop. 

4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Lexapro works for me but makes me very hungry. I'm sorry you are going through this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)