Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I lie to DH about my income

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM
  • 62 Replies
I do it so he doesn't resent me. We work for the same company; I've been the bookkeeper/office manager for 6 years, hes worked the heavy machinery for 6 months. After our recent raises he makes $10 an hour and I make $21. He thinks I make $16.50. My level of responsibility is significantly higher and I am considered a key employee.

He doesn't know the exact figures because we don't share money. We are each responsible for different household expenses so as long as everything gets paid he doesn't questions. I know how much he makes because I do payroll.

How many of you out earn your SOs? Do they treat you different because of it?

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaMa.Lu
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Why lie?
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM
currently I am a work from home mom and my income varies, but since I have a higher education than s/o I usually have made much more even when we have worked for the same places
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I did when my ex and I were together. He did get really resentful about it at times. He was older and honestly should have been farther along in his finances then he was. I think the fact that someone half his age made twice as much hurt his pride. Well, sucks to be him. Maybe he shouldn't have messed up his life.

eSamsMama
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM
I can see DH being the same way. He's 10 years older than me and is a skilled tradesman, but construction had slowed down too much so he bounced around a little. I've worked in the same field for 8 years so my skills are sought after.

Quoting jadedcynic:

I did when my ex and I were together. He did get really resentful about it at times. He was older and honestly should have been farther along in his finances then he was. I think the fact that someone half his age made twice as much hurt his pride. Well, sucks to be him. Maybe he shouldn't have messed up his life.

bellawomen
by Summer on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  I would NOT be ok with that.  If my husband would get mad because I made more money than him that would be HIS problem.  I would not lie.  I need 100% honestly in my relationship and I won't lie to spare an ego.

dancingthrulife
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

who cares..as long as the rent get paid, food get brought, lights gets paid, car payment made etc..kids get something special on good days, birthday holidays..its all gravy 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM
2 moms liked this
If my husband only made $10 an hour he would be stoked that his wife made more not upset.
eSamsMama
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM
What nearly 40 year old man wouldn't be proud to have a 20-something sugar mama?!
ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Last year,my husband made around $72,000 and I made $69,000. So not too much of a difference,but now with the twins coming,I'm going to be a SAHM,so we'll be going back to living on one income.

CafeMom Tickers
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

It's pretty bad that you feel like you have to lie to spare his feelings.

What a puss-puss.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)