Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Felt pretty bad for this girl at friendlys

Posted by   + Show Post

We went to Friendlys for dinner.

the table ahead of us had 4 kids.  One was a teen age girl.  the other three were under 8 but older than 2.  Then directly next to them were 3 adults.  The mother of these children had her teen daughter do everything for the boys.  she placed in their order, made sure they ate.  if they got too loud, mom told her to tell them to keep the voices down.  one of the boys asked the mom to take them to the bathrrom, and she told him her sister will take him. and she had to get up and take her brother.  i felt so bad for her. id be pissed if my mom had me do all that for my younger siblings.

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:20 AM
Replies (41-44):
cheetah90210
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Oh I'm to ill to take care of my kids but not to ill to get up and go out to eat yeah ok not buying it and what type of punishment is you have to raise my kids because you didn't do xyz ...... Idc what ever way you spin it I feel as a older sibling to pitch in with helping with the younger ones fine but to make sure they are fed and ect is the parents job

Quoting tossed:

Quoting cheetah90210:

Quoting tossed:

It is unfair to judge when you don't know the background.....maybe mom is ill or maybe daughter does this as part of her allowance.

take care of my kids for an allowance, and she's ill but she's out at a restaurant

I have gone out to eat within days of getting out of the hospital. I have known perople with terminal illnesses who go out to eat and you would not know their condition. I also took care of younger nieces/nephews when I was a teen. Why assume the mom is just lazy. Maybe the daughter is being punished. There was a summer when I did not work and took care of my niece and nephew 24/7. I just hate the automatic leaps of assertions I constantly see here.

yperez0209
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM
I think its hard to form an opinion unless we really know the family. Maybe the mother is sick and thats the agreement between them when they go out to eat or this may very well be how it is.
My oldest is a girl, she's eleven, and we're expecting our sixth anyday. I consciously make it a point not to do this to her. She did not give birth to her siblings so it's not her responsibility to raise them. She is expected to keep her room neat, get good grades, and hand me babywipes if I left them in the bathroom. I've started to teach her how to do other chores, not because I'm leaning on her but she needs to learn life skills as well, like how to make a bed or clear off a table.

Quoting gemikris82:

We went to Friendlys for dinner.

the table ahead of us had 4 kids.  One was a teen age girl.  the other three were under 8 but older than 2.  Then directly next to them were 3 adults.  The mother of these children had her teen daughter do everything for the boys.  she placed in their order, made sure they ate.  if they got too loud, mom told her to tell them to keep the voices down.  one of the boys asked the mom to take them to the bathrrom, and she told him her sister will take him. and she had to get up and take her brother.  i felt so bad for her. id be pissed if my mom had me do all that for my younger siblings.

Stephw1110
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM

The Supernanny episode is first thing I thought about when I read this.  I was disgusted by that episode.I felt so sorry for those 2 girls.   

I'm all for older children helping out with younger ones when it doesn't cross the line.  Taking a younger one to the bathroom, holding a hand, things like that I think are actually good for an older child.  Sometimes a younger child becomes very close to an older sibling and the older sibling is usually able to get the child to comply more easily.  Situations like that are ok.

The situation you described is not.  She is not the parent.  How do this parents expect the younger kids to respect them if they push all their responsibilities on their daughter.  How do they expect the daughter to respect them if they do this.  There's a chance there was a good reason behind it but at the same time, this oculd be how this family lives.

Quoting EntrepeneurMom:

I hate seeing that. I understand occasionally asking the oldest to help a little but why have all those kids if you cba to take care of them?

Did anyone ever see that episode of Supernanny where the parents had two teens in home based study, expected them to take care of the kids and used it as an excuse to act childless? The poor oldest fainted at one point from exhaustion. She was only 18, it was so so sad. :(

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM

You don't know the circumstance of why this was happening-maybe she gets paid, maybe the girl enjoys it, there could be many reasons or yes maybe she is getting taken advantage of by doing all of it.  I do not assume if I do not know the whole circumstance of that situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)