Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice from moms who take this? My anxiety has become almost debilitating lately and my doctor prescribed this. I am a bit nervous to take it. For those who have will I still be able to function? What will it do to me?
I did ask my doctor and all she said is that it will relax me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Replies (11-17):
lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:24 AM
Thank you :) and I'm glad it's helped you

Quoting katemckenzie:

It made me feel tired the first couple times, but after that I adjusted. It wasn't like sleepy tire. More like lazy tired. Like relaxed to the point where "IM NOT DOIN SHIT TODAY."

Quoting lovelove211:

Does it make you feel tired though or loopy or anything? I'm just a bit worried. My anxiety has become so bad and I think I'm doing the same jaw clenching thing as well

Quoting katemckenzie:

Works wonders for me. I'm a worrier. I spend all my time worrying about everything, which in turn makes me clench my teeth because I'm so stressed about my worries. I've ground off all my enamel and have awful ear, neck, and jaw pain. And headaches. Xanax helps with that

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:25 AM
You're right, I feel like I am just trying to survive each day rather than living it and enjoying it. Thank you so very much :)

Quoting krissy920:

I hope you find something that works for you  regardless of medication  therapy or both. Living with anxiety  can be debilitating and  in some cases like mine,  i wasnt really living or enjoying life. I think we all deserve to feel  good  and live life to the fullest and be happy :) Good luck on your journey.

Quoting lovelove211:

Given that your anxiety was so bad and this treatment worked for you, it's very hopeful to me. Thank you for suggesting this :) I'm going to look into it

Quoting krissy920:

I didn't want to take medication because i cant function or have emotions on it ( not all people just me) so i went once a week for close to a year and had  therapy sessions with  an amazing doctor. We worked on  figuring out where my anxiety  stemmed from and ways to control my anxiety in general. Pretty much  my anxiety had taken over many aspects in my life ( i didn't drive i avoided all caffeine,  the list goes on) it caused me to have panic attacks and even was on the verge of having agoraphobia. Anyways after my treatment i learned other ays to calm myself and breathing methods to help. After a year of treatment, ive never had an anxiety attack since.. i now drive.. and i dont avoid anything any more.n I dont know if this treatment is for everyone, but it was amazing for me.

Quoting lovelove211:

No I haven't heard of that. Could you explain?

Quoting krissy920:

Have you tried a cognative behavioral therapy treatment, it worked way better then meds for me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:28 AM
I had to stop takeing xanax bc I was so doped up I could not function
AJsMom81507
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:29 AM

it really depends on the person.

i have taken xanax, i am now on Klonopin.  and it relaxes you.  not sleepy, but relaxes you.  i only took when needed.

Valium is the least strongest.  i am surprised your dr didnt start you on that.

.5mg of xanax is the same as 10mg of Valium (less sedating)

sandy201282
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:34 AM

i had anxiety like that after i got out of a abusive marriage where my ex almost shot me, and it was bad, i turned to booze to cope(bad idea) but a couple months in I realized i was just going to be an alcoholic w anxiety so i went to dr, she gave me a bunch of pills that i never took and i decided i wasnt going to let that rule me.when i felt an attack coming on i would repeat to myself i was ok, i wasnt going to die and that i would pass, and then i would get busy, cleaning, walking, cooking, talking on phone, anything..it took awhile but i broke the fear cycle.this wont work for everyone, or maybe noone but me, but i refused to trade alcohol for drugs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Xanax effed me up. I couldn't function on it. I ended up on a low-moderate dose of Zoloft, which was perfect, along with immersion therapy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I too suffer with anxiety. I took half of a dose of Ativan when it's bad. But got on Prozac long term so I didn't need the Ativan. Ativan is similar to Xanax. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured