Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No booster or seatbelt Update Final update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 200 Replies

Mobile Photo

Final Update: We got up here about 3 hours ago. My SIL and I went out for some groceries and I brought up the booster. First things first, I had to ensure it had been purchased new. It is a Graco Big Kid backless purchased new, so that's ok. I will have to see him PROPERLY restrained in it to pass a final opinion. Then she said later, "Dad thought you were really mad about that picture." I said, "I was." We talked a bit and I explained that he has to have the shoulder belt always. I then talked to DS and simply told him any time he's in the car he can't put the belt behind him. He asked why and I told him its dangerous. I asked him, "You don't want to get hurt in the car do you?" He said, "No," and agreed. It's nothing that had ever come up before so he didn't realize it wasn't allowed, especially when the adults he trusted said it was ok. So anyhow, we are all on the same page now and looking forward to enjoying our vacation with them.
Update: I got an answer, sort of. I got an answer to one question (is he buckled and if so, why is he buckled wrong?). I do not have an answer to what seat it is or where it was purchased.
The explanation? He wanted to go to sleep but couldn't get comfortable so they suggested (SUGGESTED) he put the shoulder belt behind him. (Multiple things wrong here: 1. In a properly fitting booster, such as the one I sent, the belt doesn't rub and he can sleep just fine while properly restrained 2. The adults SUGGESTED it.) So yes, I'm angry and seeing red. In an accident, he would have been ejected and likely killed. This is NOT ok. Yes, we are going to be talking with them. This is not to happen anymore.
Is it just me or is it OBVIOUS that this child is not in a booster, or even so much as a seat belt?
He is SIX!!! I am so angry I could SPIT! And YES, I said something.
I'm sorry. I'm so upset, I forgot to include that this is MY child! He's with my inlaws. Yes, I'm livid. He has to be appropriately restrained in a child restraint. This isn't news to them.
Edit: I sent him up with an Evenflo Maestro (a one piece high back booster with no backless option). Though we can see an arm rest, it's clearly not his seat. I don't have a clue what seat he's in and it's clear he's not in a lap shoulder belt (all the cars they drive have lap shoulder in all seating positions). A lap belt only is completely unacceptable and not news to them. They were sent an appropriate restraint and are refusing to use it.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
It looks like it is a booster or something...I see the arm rest.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM
I saw the arm rest, but where's the seat belt?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM
That's what I was thinking

Quoting Anonymous:

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I see a booster. As far as the seatbelt goes, IDK, I cant see his waist. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Ummmm

Maybe it's an older model car and the middle seat only had the lapbelt

Perhaps

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM

It looks like he's sitting in a booster, since theres an arm rest and he's higher up, and since he's in the center he's probably using a lap belt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Maybe it has a lap belt?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM
100%, completely unacceptable. A child doesn't belong in only a lap belt (and if that's the case, there's no reason for a booster).

Quoting Anonymous:

Ummmm

Maybe it's an older model car and the middle seat only had the lapbelt

Perhaps

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM

In a lot of cars they dont have seatbelts that go over the shoulder in the middle back seat, just ones that go over the waist. My car is like that. You cant see the lap so it is impossible to say whether or not he is wearing a lapbelt.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

He is sitting in the middle there is no chest strap in the middle plus I see an arm rest for a booster stop being so judgey before you know everything

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN