Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can a landlord stop by w/o notice.. if...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
My friend moved into a new place a few months back. When she applied for it she didn't realize there was no pets allowed. The application didn't say anything about it (i saw it), plus the neighbor has a dog. She has 4 cats. She was approved to move in and when she signed the lease saw that there was a no pet rule. Because she had to be out of her previous apartment in a few days, she lied.Last week a couple of them got out and the neighbor called the landlord. Landlord called friend. She said They were her aunts who was in the hospital and were going back the next day. He came to check it out a couple days later. She hid the cats . He then talked to the neighbor. Landlords wife came back saying he wanted come by randomly. Friend said she wasn't comfortable with that. She hasn't heard anything since. She is freaking out.
Due to the situation, does the landlord have the right to randomly drop by?
I just want to add that i don't agree with what she is doing, and think she should look for a new place.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Yeah they can come by any time they like.

XJetX
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Yup. No notice required, though it is courteous to call first.
ETA- your friend is totally in the wrong for blatantly lying about her cats after seeing the no pets rule.
I think the cats can be removed or she can be evicted for breaking the lease.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SyllabaryBisque
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep, it's their property.
kamrynlily07
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM
It should say in the lease. Some leases specifically say the landlord must give a 24 hour notice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiniowien
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM

They can yes.. Usually a notice is nice 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Absolutely.
jarkrt
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:46 AM
I think they have to give "reasonable notice" unless it's an emergency. Each state defines reasonable notice differently.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:46 AM
That's what im wondering. Unusually it is a 24 hour notice. However giving the situation i wasnt sure if that rule still applies.

Quoting kamrynlily07:

It should say in the lease. Some leases specifically say the landlord must give a 24 hour notice.

Val99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:47 AM

They can come by anytime they'd like, but you only have to let them inside if your lease requires it.  What does her lease say?  Some require 24 hour notice.

elkmomma
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Check with your local Housing Authority, laws can vary from state to state.  Here, they have to give you a min of 24 hr notice to "inspect".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN