Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Looks like I'm going to lose my dad AND my mom :-(

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 66 Replies

My dad is getting worse and worse by the day.

Mom and I have spoke to his Pulmonologist (per my dads permission) and told him about it. He said dad really only has about 6-8 months left to live since he continues to smoke.

Being in the medical field and currently studying to be a paramedic, I know the physiological state that is taking place inside of the body but we've still been doing some heavy research on it just for peace of mind for the two of us. Honestly, it really hasn't brought much closure.

Dad IS in the end stage of COPD and is showing signs of being close to the end. It's a numbing feeling.

Now to my mom. My mom has severely obese. She just got her labs back and her cholesterol is through the roof, she's developing type 2 diabetes and her blood pressure has been on the rise for a while now. He chooses not to "accept" this and doesn't take the medicine she's prescribed. She says she's, "too young". She's 49. Smdh.

I have been trying to have her workout at minimum 10 minutes a day with me. Just SOMETHING to get her started. I tried with her today and it was nothing but excuses."I can't." "It's too hard", "I have too much fat in the way". "It hurts". Everything I did was very basic, modified workouts. She eats horribly even though I do cook healthy meals, she just ate a container full of M&M's and she does this regularly. She won't eat anything with veggies in it so I try to sneak them into her food.

So I guess that's it. My dad is about to go and with the stress my mom has on her plate knowing her husband is about to die, the stress of her health and the weight on her body, the legal aspects that come with getting everything in order for my dad dying and her work, her friend that she co-manages his company.........she's going to end up having a heart attack probably soon and dying, too.

What am I going to do if I lose both my mom and dad so close together? I can't handle that!

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I'm sorry about your dad but don't count your mom dead yet. I've know a few people with uncontrolled diabetes that lived for a long time. DH's grandpa was one of them. He lived for years just like you describe your mom but of course if you asked him, he was always on his deathbed. He lived 10 years after he insisted he wouldn't make it until Christmas.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry. I know it's hard to stand by and watch this happening.

HUGS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Shit, this is terrible... I'm very sorry you have to be put through all of this :( I don't even know what else to say.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Mrs.Brugger
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry to hear =[ Hopefully things start to look up with them (or at least your mom snaps out of denial and tries to take care of herself! I really don't know much about your dad's situation). *hugs*

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Im sorry.
My cousin lost her parents within one month of each other. I seen her pain, and can truly feel your sadness.
However, this doesn't have to be it for your mom. If you have to go drill Sargent on her ass, do it. Do you live with her?
dancer
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

your mom seems depressed. It is understandable.  She needs a reason to continue  to fight for herself.

BeAmour
by Tonya on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

It's not just diabetes. It's high cholesterol and hypertension that she's leaving untreated. I make her keep a daily record of her glucose and her BP so she can show the doctor and for me. She's had some angina pains as well but she won't tell the doctor that, just me. I straight up told her that she's a good candidate for an upcoming heart attack.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry about your dad but don't count your mom dead yet. I've know a few people with uncontrolled diabetes that lived for a long time. DH's grandpa was one of them. He lived for years just like you describe your mom but of course if you asked him, he was always on his deathbed. He lived 10 years after he insisted he wouldn't make it until Christmas.

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Holy I'm so sorry!  *big hugs*

Feel free to PM any time to vent or anything.

Is it also possible that with your dad's condition, your mom is depressed?

gemikris82
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

im so sorry.  i truely believe that no parent should ever burry a child.  but now that im 31, and im watching my parents age, part of me wants to go before them because i dont want to see them go.  i cant imagine how you feel. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN