Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Military and government assistance

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 299 Replies
5 moms liked this

Too many times I have seen people in this group say that they either have known or have been on some type of government assistance as a military dependent. If you entered the military with a couple of dependents, I can understand that. Especially during the wars when the military was letting everybody with a set of eyeballs in. IIf you enlisted as a single person or just a spouse and decided to pop out kid after kid after kid on Uncle Sam's dime, you're wrong. And the assistance bit is a cop-out and is also bogus. I'm looking at a LES right now. This particular person has 1 year in the military, is an E3, has a wife and a son. His base pay total EOM pay is $3,165. Granted $1,300 is BAH/BAS. His allotments total $1,823. I am not buying this crap about military members needing to be on welfare because they do not make enough. It's because of poor planning and judgment, that's why they get financial help. Not because the military doesn't pay enough. Use birth control. It's free. Go to a budgeting class. It's also free.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonandon
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM
5 moms liked this

Oh good, I thought this was going to be another military pay = government assistance. 

I don't know anyone on it, but everyone we know is higher ranking and only has 1-2 kids if any.

That person's base pay isn't $3165 as an E3.  His total pay may be, but his base pay isn't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Birth control wasn't free even when I was active duty. Why does them being in the military matter at least we know they're working verse normal welfare leeches.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I agree with this. I have knowb a few that pop out kid after kid with a military dh and has wic and food stamps.
Love060708kids
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That's quite a blanket statement.

Some join as an E-1 with a family of four kids and a wife.  They join because of different reasons; whether they need insurance, plan to go to college or just can't find a job.  Then, if they have a family of six, how are they going to live on an E-1 pay?  But, as they progress through the ranks, they could get off PA.  

cfcf
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM
I didn't even know you could get PA in the military. I don't know why I assumed you couldn't.

Dh and I struggled quite a bit once he returned from Afghanistan. We just made due, it didn't even occur to me to apply for welfare.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM
18 moms liked this

if anyone deserves it, its the men and women who lay there life on the line and get paid utter shit for it. not the drugged out walfare people who wont even look for a job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM

One of my neighbors recive food stamps, but he husbands an E4 with 5 kids....I dont know if you can get anything else or not.

Quoting cfcf:

I didn't even know you could get PA in the military. I don't know why I assumed you couldn't.

Dh and I struggled quite a bit once he returned from Afghanistan. We just made due, it didn't even occur to me to apply for welfare.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I don't understand how some military families have so many kids and hold their head above water, especially if the service member is enlisted rank. The pay scale is public knowledge, and they don't get that much. BAH is given but you have to be able to find a house big enough, for under the amount of BAH, or live on post, which is potentially Shitsville. We do fine, but we have 1 child. Everyone we know has no kids or 1-2 kids, and they are still able to go out and have a good time with us, like going to movies, or the local fair, or whatever. I don't know anyone with more than 2 kids so I can't give that opinion accurately.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I was so glad that we did not have kids when DH was in the AF. Of course, this was back in the 90's so the pay has changed since then...( I hope) ....we were poor...dirt poor when he was in the AF. They did not have housing for us so we had to live 15 miles out from the base in an apartment. We spent over $300 out of pocket for rent monthly as the housing allowance did not cover it. We had to borrow money from my parents when my car broke down as we did not have $3K to repair it..even with both of us working. I managed a pet store for a short period, but once we moved on base, I had to quit as I couldn't get there due to all the blizzards. I ended up getting a job as a civilian contractor once we were on base. Our first year was very hard financially and it took us a long time to get our heads above water from having to drain our resources so much paying for rent. Now, after 14 years out of the military, DH makes 6 figures and we are very comfortable...we would have been screwed if we had managed to have children all those years ago instead of going through infertility all those years. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM
12 moms liked this

His base pay is NOT $3,185.  Bas and bah do NOT count towards "base" pay. 

My guess is you have no idea what the freak you are talking about. 

In some areas ( HAWAII) if you have two dependents and a stay at home spouse, you can and will get assistance, despite your planning.  . . .but way to bitch and vent about something you know nothing about. 

DId you even look at his deductions, moron?  Like the health and dental insurance?  any TSP payments?  And re-payments for federal over payment or Relief loans?  Bet not. 

Know what I think?  I think you should shut the hell up.  I am a navy vet and a proud navy spouse.  We proudly support our family with a fair amount of ease.  My husband is specially trained, so he gets hazardous duty pay, a type of  pro pay, special rate pay, sea pay, and family separation pay on top of bas, bah, base pay.  WE have two children.  He is senior enlisted.  We have little to no debt, we do not get any sort of public assistance, but we live in an expensive area, and COLA is a joke ( but you don't know what that is, do you. . . )  My husband ( as senior enlisted) gets paid the same amount as a Lieutenant does because of his special pays. . . and know what? 

I still find myself clipping coupons, buying used, and saving however possible.  Our vehicles, although nice and dependable are used.  Our home was a fixer-upper, and by your standards we should be filthy rich. ..   So for you to say that a JUNIOR enlisted family with two dependants has poor planning and judgement is just ignorant.  They simply don't get paid enough. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN