Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Oh Obama, why did you speak up

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

President Obama, after being silent all of this time.  After the White House said he would not make a statement, comes out today and says "Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago".  He then goes on to say he believes "if a white male teen was involved in the same scenario, top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different".  

I think him giving an opinion is only going to fuel the fire of those crying racism even more.  I hope this all just fades away soon.  However, I'm waiting, white people are just waiting for a black man to kill a white man under similar circumstances, and it has happened, but this time, white people are going to call rasism.  Its only fair in their eyes.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Replies (221-223):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:02 AM

The mamority of black people, who are 1/2 white, do not acknowledge the white side.  They usually say they are black.  My DD is biracial, and my ex DH has a lot of biracial children in his family and they just say they are black.  

Quoting ashtie:

Trayvon Martin could not have been him 35 years ago, because trayvon was not half white, obama is. But obama seems to forget that little bit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I am black.  I think he was wrong.  I think the problems that we are having in this country with race, is my own peoples fault.  Yes there is racism, however, we handle it incorrectly.  We handle it with more hate, with keeping oursleves down, and doing the wrong things.  

Quoting meladyvee:

I'm a professional black woman-and a mom, and I have NO problem with Obama's comments. He spoke about HIS feelings and HIS experiences: if you are not black or a minority, you can't relate to what he said. Its not race baiting or whining to talk about what is TRUE. I'm so sick of this shit--the miniscule criticism of a Prez who is trying to lead ALL of America and address ALL of our issues as American citizens. As I see it, Obama was right to speak about the trial after taking a few days to reflect (because a large segment of his supporters-tax-paying, unfairly treated minorities) want to know how HE feels about that b.s. Zimmerman verdict. . If you don't want to hear what he has to say turn the channel--its VERY simple. I did it all the time with G.W. But I still respected his office and his opinions, whether I agreed with them or not. It would be great if Obama got the same respect.

meladyvee
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Ok-so??? Just because we're black we don't have to agree. I am just as entitled to my opinion as you are: at the end of the day bashing Obama for his comments--no matter WHAT the subject is, is ridiculous to me. Just change the damn channel if you don't want to hear it--but he does have the right to speak because before he became POTUS, and after he leaves The White House he will still be perceived as a black man in America. I also disagree with your comments about how 'we' deal with racism. Again, we might be of the same race but we are individuals. I handle things one way, you might handle them differently: how people perceive either of our actions is not something we can control. Racist, negative people will ALWAYS find fault with people of coloe even when there is nothing to be upset about. So fuck em--I don't live my life worrying about trying to please others, or how they perceive me. I put my best foot forward, try to ve pleasant & I respect others as long as they're respectful to me. There will be no jumping through hoops on my end, in an effort to appease people or have them perceive me in a certain way. I'm a good person. A good black person--who is entitled to her own feelings. That's it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN