Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TEACHERS WHO SAY THEY SPEND A 100'S OF DOLLARS

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 357 Replies
1 mom liked this

To the teachers who say they spend a TON of money every year for supplies and their classroom can I ask, where is your PTO/PTA?

Every school I went to, every school my children have gone to has one. 

Do you go to the meetings?  Do you have a teacher liason? Do you submit requests of things that you need to the PTO/PTA?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I am not a teacher but I know money is tight all around.
theresaphilly
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I agree!

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM
19 moms liked this

The PTO/PTA does not cover near what a teacher needs.

Lots of them end up spending their own money.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Well at my son's school the PTO has limited funds. I was the VP last year. We are a small school and can only do so much.

quinnsmom715
by Donna on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM

what the heck does the pta spend their money on then?seems like its just a pat themselves on the back kind of thing..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Yes teachers spend tons of money so that people who don't have it kids have things .... 

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM
3 moms liked this

We get a supply budget of $100. The office will NOT SUPPLY anything but copy paper.

The PTA does not give us any supply money. They pretty much run student assemblies, and fundraiser activities. Our fundraisers right now are to get Smart boards in every classroom. Right now only SPED teachers, like me, have them. :)

TCup18
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM
3 moms liked this
At my son's school last year I was the class mom. Anyways, the PTA gives each class $50 a year for whatever they need. Then we collect a class fund (usually $5 per student or whatever the parents want to donate). Then for extra parties and things I would send out an email to all the parents asking for whatever we needed for the party like plates, candy.. whatever.

I'm not a teacher obviously but I workes pretty closely with her and there's a lot of little things that add up that she buys. Plus I've even seen her hand kids lunch money (specifically one boy) because his parents never gave him any. It might not be a lot at once but like I said, it adds up quickly.
shabbalaquita
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I am no longer a teacher but my school was very small. I did in fact spend between $300-$400 every year. Luckily it was all tax deductible.

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Quoting quinnsmom715:

what the heck does the pta spend their money on then?seems like its just a pat themselves on the back kind of thing..

They spend the money on the students needs but it does not meet demand by any means.

Don't sweat the petty things;Don't pet the sweaty things!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured