Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you judge people that curse? Think they're ignorant? Low class? Ill-bred? Ill mannered?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 90 Replies
2 moms liked this
I certainly do. There's no need for it, and it is completely unacceptable, especially at work, and is an offense worthy of employment termination.

1. Lots of people swear. What's wrong with it?

It depends on why, when and where you are swearing. Swearing can be rude, crude and offensive. It can reflect a bad attitude that hurts your image and your relationships. People might perceive you as an abrasive person who lacks character, maturity, intelligence, manners and emotional control.

2. What if everyone I know swears?

Why not sound a bit more refined than everyone else? Besides, maybe everyone swears, but no one swears everywhere. It isn't appropriate in many situations. To avoid slipping or struggling to find a word to replace that foul word you are accustomed to using, break the cussing habit and practice speaking intelligently.

3. It isn't a crime or a sin, so what harm does it do?

Better to ask, what GOOD does it do? Sometimes it's funny and sometimes it helps you vent anger, but swearing never earns you respect or admiration, enhances your reputation, makes you more pleasant to be with, exhibits your intelligence or vocabulary, or reflects strong character. It doesn't demonstrate respect for others, help you win arguments, set a positive example, get you romantically connected, or help you get hired or promoted.

4. I only swear when I get angry or frustrated.

Is your anger or frustration always justified? Swearing has increased partly because we expect everything to go right in our lives. We aren't coping, we are cussing. Don't let little annoyances and daily aggravations get to you. Instead of taking everything seriously, allow yourself to have greater peace of mind.

5. I think swearing adds color and emphasis to our language.

Just the opposite, because most people keep using the same old swear words. If your vocabulary is limited or you can't swear creatively, try inflections, as in "I was FURious!"

6. I must not offend anyone, because no one ever tells me to watch my language.

It is rare for someone to criticize another person for bad language, but that is not a sign of acceptance. People could be passing judgment on you without telling you how they feel.

7. I'm not going to bother because, quite frankly, I don't give a damn.

Lots of people don't, and that's the problem. We want to do and say whatever we please. Our reluctance to restrain our impulses and to make the effort to be polite is contributing to a coarser, less civil society.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Some of the most refined people I know curse often.
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

dude. they are words... just like any other... chillax man

blue_elephant
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM
13 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

grouchymama
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Words have meaning. Many swear words are used to show disrespect.

Quoting bustybee:

dude. they are words... just like any other... chillax man

QuirkyMom26
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM
4 moms liked this

I curse.  I choose WHERE I curse and I am a little more refined around certain people but, if you want to judge me for cursing that would appear to be your issue, not mine.

anotherhalf
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Fuck no.

blue_elephant
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I definitely think that frequent profanity use colors my perception of someone's intelligence.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM
5 moms liked this
Meh....my vocabulary extends far beyond that of your citizen of average intelligence considering my 3yr old can and has used the word "facetious" in the correct context.

But I also say fuck a lot.
blue_elephant
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured