Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I got two g-d damn kids and I'll leave them in the car if I want to!

Posted by   + Show Post

So I had to run to the store to get lettuce for taco night, and that's what I heard a woman screaming into her phone.

Add a few more expletives and you have her exact sentence.

She was trying to justify locking her two children in the car because she was going to take the key fob off and leave the car running to go into Walmart.

This is the same store where a man attempted to kidnap my 1 yo (then 10 months) when I was unlocking the door.

I have no idea who she was on the phone with, but apparently they were telling her what an awful idea that was. 

How would you feel about leaving children strapped in their carseat inside a running but locked vehicle?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I forgot to add. . . I've been through a lot of self-defense training. . .I was alarmed when you said there was an attempted kidnapping on your son.  Do you carry pepper spray?  If not, do you know the key trick ( sticking keys in between your fingers and making a fist. . . very painful weapon)  I do these things when it's just me and the kids in sketchy places.  our wal-mart is a freak fest, too. . . I just wanted to ask if you knew about those things so you could easily protect your son if the need arose again . . stay safe!

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Vehicle running. Child shifts it into gear. Now what?

SamanthaSage
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Aww, that's really sweet.

Quoting KaylinC03:

Actually, last week I went to the gas station and was going to run inside to get a bottled water. I got my 2 year old out of his car seat and carried him in the store with me. There was this little eldery lady sitting there (in the Subway attached to the gas station) who came up to me, bought my bottled water, and thanked me for not doing "what most parents do" and taking my son inside with me. 

It basically made my whole week. :)

Quoting SamanthaSage:

Just what I was going to say.

Quoting KaylinC03:

There is no way on this earth I would ever leave my child in the car when I went inside anywhere. 

MamaRae85
by *you're on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Super bad idea.

KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

How old are your kids?

Quoting bustybee:

fine, I've done it before and will do it again

GrinningCheese
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I'd think she better kiss them goodbye because if she went into the store I'd call the cops. They'd arrest her and no she can't leave them in the store just cause she wants to. WTH is wrong with people.
momto3boys85
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM

there is another thread on this on here, but no way would i leave my kids unattended in the car. Also its illegal here in Florida.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Under 10- nope they're coming with me; over 10 - depends on maturity I guess. Never alone, or my DD21 sits in the drivers seat so that they know there is someone in there.
Anonandon
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Yep, today was the first time I've seen it, but it's a big orange sign on the door as you walk in.  I'm kind of glad they have it, but at the same time, it's pathetic that it's needed.  I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing them elsewhere too.  We're in El Paso, and it's been "cool" this week (upper 80s-90s), but normally 100s are normal for us for awhile.  People just don't think.

Quoting rebeccab1966:

Quoting Anonandon:

People are idiots.  There's now a sign on the doors to our Walmart grocery store reminding parents to be aware of when their kids are with them and please don't leave them in the car.  Next time I go I'll take a picture.

You're kidding!!  They actually have to have a SIGN telling people not to do this??  Dumbfounded.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM
I leave myn9 yr old in the car

Not sure about an infant
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)