Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I got two g-d damn kids and I'll leave them in the car if I want to!

Posted by   + Show Post

So I had to run to the store to get lettuce for taco night, and that's what I heard a woman screaming into her phone.

Add a few more expletives and you have her exact sentence.

She was trying to justify locking her two children in the car because she was going to take the key fob off and leave the car running to go into Walmart.

This is the same store where a man attempted to kidnap my 1 yo (then 10 months) when I was unlocking the door.

I have no idea who she was on the phone with, but apparently they were telling her what an awful idea that was. 

How would you feel about leaving children strapped in their carseat inside a running but locked vehicle?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Good for you!

Quoting KanPsMommy:

Yes ma'am after that I went and got a concealed carry permit. I had pepper spray at the time, but when I told him I had a gun and would shoot him if he didn't put her down and back away quickly he did exactly what I said and ran. I called the police and reported it. Since he didn't technically commit a crime he wasn't arrested that day, but was arrested a few days later for breaking and entering.

Quoting Anonymous:

I forgot to add. . . I've been through a lot of self-defense training. . .I was alarmed when you said there was an attempted kidnapping on your son.  Do you carry pepper spray?  If not, do you know the key trick ( sticking keys in between your fingers and making a fist. . . very painful weapon)  I do these things when it's just me and the kids in sketchy places.  our wal-mart is a freak fest, too. . . I just wanted to ask if you knew about those things so you could easily protect your son if the need arose again . . stay safe!

cacajoni2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I am the first one to say it's a pain in the ass sometimes to get both kids (5 month twins) into the store. Obviously, no one would leave a 5 month old in the car, alone (or so I hope). But I don't understand how people with older kids can do that? Is the slightly easier trip into the grocery store actually worth your baby's life? I don't think I could live with myself if something happened to my boys. 

KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I don't have much choice. The other "grocery store" is all the way across town in the "bad part"... But the good part isn't much better. :/

Quoting ittyprincess604:

The same store and you still go back?! I'd be scared shitless.

People are morons, it's that kind of attitude (from the woman) that get so many poor children taken, hospitalized, or worse. You shouldn't leave kids in the car, period.

PinkHart
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Eh I've done it with my ds. He has a phone he can call for help and knows to start screaming and honking the horn repeatedly if anyone touches the car. It's not illegal and I never leave him long. Never leave him to go inside somewhere like Wal-Mart.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

At a gas station, I think it's fine. But at any other store where you can't look out and immdediately see your vehicle, and you'll be gone for longer than two minutes, no I wouldn't do that.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM

yes, but where I live in Canada we are still very 50's small town and everyone looks out for each other. I also do not have a walmart within 350 miles (530km) of where I live.

Quoting KanPsMommy:

And you'd be comfortable leaving them in a vehicle while you went inside a store like Walmart?

Quoting bustybee:

5, 4, 1.5, nb

Quoting KanPsMommy:

How old are your kids?

Quoting bustybee:

fine, I've done it before and will do it again

Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Never going to happen. If I have too much to carry(like when I have boxes to send off at the post office), then I take the kids in and ask for a dolly or cart or for some assistance. If I'm going into any store they come with me. If I'm at a pump getting gas I pay there at the pump and typically keep the windows down if it isn't absurdly cold(which it never is here in Okinawa). I can't take that risk.

I think about it like this... There's a whole lot of thieves and most newer SUVs and vans have dark tinted glass on the back windows. Most thieves aren't going to look all inside the car... They're going to jump in and drive if they see the person leave it running. They might notice the kid in the back as they drive away... Then what? Keep going? Stop and take the kid out? Get into a wreck running from the police that mom called on them? You just don't know what could happen at any given moment.
gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Ds is 11 yo and I make him go in with me everywhere, an older child canbe kidnapped just like a younger child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Never going to happen. If I have too much to carry(like when I have boxes to send off at the post office), then I take the kids in and ask for a dolly or cart or for some assistance. If I'm going into any store they come with me. If I'm at a pump getting gas I pay there at the pump and typically keep the windows down if it isn't absurdly cold(which it never is here in Okinawa). I can't take that risk.

I think about it like this... There's a whole lot of thieves and most newer SUVs and vans have dark tinted glass on the back windows. Most thieves aren't going to look all inside the car... They're going to jump in and drive if they see the person leave it running. They might notice the kid in the back as they drive away... Then what? Keep going? Stop and take the kid out? Get into a wreck running from the police that mom called on them? You just don't know what could happen at any given moment.

On that note you leaving them in the car while you pump gas is just as dangerous.

Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Uh no. Because I don't leave my car running while I pump. My keys come out with me even, and I don't leave the side of my car for the whole time I'm pumping to avoid spills and every other bad scenario.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

On that note you leaving them in the car while you pump gas is just as dangerous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)