Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**Updated with clearification** He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. (Proverbs 13:24)

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM
  • 121 Replies
2 moms liked this
**The following opinion is based on my own personal experience. I acknowledge there are parents who practice this option with loving intentions and who reserve it for serious infractions.
** Within the post below I have presented a dramatized scenario with the intention of describing the parent who practices this form of discipline impulsively out of frustration. This is the parent I am criticizing.
** I do not claim to know all the answers. I'm not intending to change anyone's views. I am simply asking to know them.
-Thanks for reading. Make sure to read the reply thread... There are some entertaining women on CM:)

** Ohh yeah! I almost forgot to address the overdone post police... I realize this has been posted a ton of times. -.- Annnnnnnd... SO??? Your point? New people join daily. This may be an old topic for you, but...um, you're not the only one here. Think about it brainiacs;)

(Original post follows)

*Views on spanking??

My opinion is one I'd shout from the roof tops...

A childs un conditional trust in a parent/guardian is absolutely crucial in raising a happy child. Aggressive reactions to common, completely normal and predictable boundary-testing tantrums is only going to hinder your child's emotional independence.
Further more, again IMO, any parent who chooses to discipline with hostility and impulsivity in the heat of the moment or in a last ditch effort, lacks to provide comfort, stability and respect. While demonstrating impatience and fits of anger for their child.
I believe when a child stops throwing a tantrum as a direct result of a spanking, or physical harm... It is not because the parent has redirected and comforted the child. It is because their child is stunned, scared, and alone.
Just think about it... You're a young toddler, 2 or 3, you're playing with your Mommy and you reach for that pretty bright yellow crayon... Oops!!! Mommy's drink spills... And before you can even realize that your action caused this reaction (your a toddler, remember?? lol:), Ooowwwwwe!!!!! You're scared, and your confused with a sore bum and hurt feelings. When your Mommy leaves you in your room alone.
Now, who thinks the child in this scenario is thinking about the spilled drink or what happened to begin with? I would imagine all this child would be thinking of is his Mommy and how sad they feel.
Small children have short memory spans to begin with, stun them... And you can forget about getting any lessons across successfully.

*That's my humble opinion.
-What's yours?

-- Please excuse any mistakes. I'm mobile, and this is my opinion... Not a formal article. Needed to vent. I've seen one too many parents going off on their kids lately. I know none of these people personally... Which is even worse. If these people are hitting their kids in public parks and play places... What in the world are they doing when nobody is looking?
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MynameisMummy
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Yeah... I BUMP my own posts.
What, with all the trolls... You have to just push 'em out ya way!! >.<
wirehangers
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:04 AM

blue123244
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I think there are definately better ways to handle situations than spanking and more effective in the long run

MynameisMummy
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Ohh yeah. That's a healthy response to such a real topic. O.O

NEXT TROLL PLEASE

Quoting wirehangers:

Amybelle
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM

delete & try again, you don't come across as the brighest bulb if ya know what I mean

MynameisMummy
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Good advice right there! You should take it!! :D

Quoting Amybelle:

delete & try again, you don't come across as the brighest blub if ya know what I mean

MynameisMummy
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Wow, such a quick edit too!! You go girl!!

Quoting MynameisMummy:

Quoting Amybelle:

delete & try again, you don't come across as the brighest blub if ya know what I mean

Amybelle
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this

You asked for opinions & like every typical Cafemom-er you only want those who agree..............lame

Quoting MynameisMummy:

Quoting Amybelle:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM

You didnt have a king james version?

wirehangers
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN