Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

First time getting a tatoo.. Any tips??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

I have decided to get a tatoo of my son's first footprint on my upper right back. I am 100% sure I wanna do it, am just nervous. I have heard that getting one on bony parts is really painful. I am also trying to find the best way to shop for a tatoo parlour because they are at every corner in my area.How was your experience getting your first tatoo?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Relax!
Yeah it's possible it'll hurt more in the bony areas but its doable.
Look for a reputable tattoo shop. Ask around. Got friends with tattoos? Ask who they went to. Go around to some shops and look through their flash while checking out the cleanliness of the shop. They should have their licenses where you can see them and if they're licensed then they get health department visits.
SaraBethKY
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I got the typical "I just turned 18, I can do whatever I want" tramp stamp haha...it hurt due to the location. As you said, bonier areas do hurt more. I got a second one in college (an Ichthus fish with the word Faith inside) on my upper thigh and it barely stung at all. If you weren't dead set on having it on your back I would consider a different location, but if you are, you'll get through the pain. It's not like it was the worst pain ever or anything. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this
First tip: learn how to spell tattoo
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Tattoo

Tattoo

Tattoo

Tattoo!

ittyprincess604
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I was gonna say this...if you're getting words, double check the spelling.

Quoting Anonymous:

First tip: learn how to spell tattoo
AlohaTink
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Don't take a break if you think you won't come back.

I have a wrist tattoo that I sat there for 2 hours because I knew if I took a break I wouldn't come back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunnieGirl1973
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

About an hour before you go, eat a light snack. Be sure to include protein, carbs and a TINY bit of fat. (Before all three of my tattoos I ate two slices of deli ham rolled around an ounce of cheddar cheese and some crackers.) Believe it or not, this will keep you from getting queasy. (When I booked the appointment for my first one, the tattoo artist told me to do that, and it worked.) 

HappyGirl77
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Ask friends who have tattoo's that you like where they got their's at.  visit the tattoo places and talk to the tattoo artists.  Go with who you feel most comfortable and have them do sketches for you to see before you make a decision.  When you are getting your tattoo (I have on my upper right shoulder as well, and only oh my ankle and hip bones)...lamaze breathing works wonders ;)

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
While looking for a tattoo parlor make sure they always use clean needles. Stay still. Talk to others with tattoos. Make sure the artist uses a stencil.
indymom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

tattoos hurt, now way around it.  Research your artist/shop online, look at their portfolios.  Find an artist that specializes in black and grey, otherwise it could end up looking like a blob on your back.  Just do your homework, take some ibuprofen before you go and enjoy. :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN