Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I judge parents who...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I judge parents whose children have bad teeth. If your child has rotten teeth/cavities and no medical problems that lead to bad teeth then I think you are a crappy parent.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Replies (51-58):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM
That is what happened . His sister and him were play swords in his room. He was standing on his nightstand because he is so short to be the same height as her. He fail and his mouth on the floor and it bruised his top middle tooth.

Quoting MamaRae85:A child falling down and hitting their mouth is bad parenting?Quoting Elle.tea.22:http://www.ask.com/question/bruised-tooth

Sounds like bad parenting to me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yoh would have though i was a bad parent when my ds was 5. He had one tooth that black. People didn't know that it was bruised and would have stayed that color until it fail out. It look rotten.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I love my Mom, but she was never on top of bringing me and my siblings to the Dentist , I will not do that with my 2 boys, my SN son sees a Dentist every 3 months and the other one every 6 months, I want to prevent any bad toothaches in the future, it is no fun. trust me I know.

good for your Mom!

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

I've never had one and I'm 25. My mom was a "use flouride and don't you dare swallow that or ill spank you", brush after every meal, floss once a day, "tongue teeth and gums", "time for a new tooth brush", take me to the dentist 3 times a year, "brush your teeth? Let me smell", "you're not doing it right! Let me do it (at 8)" type. She was obsessed with teeth being clean! And I am greatful! My baby has had his teeth and gums swabbed/brushed from a month old. I think my child will hate me but be as greatful as I am one day!

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a SN child who is 14 and he has no cavities, and has not had one in years. 

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

2 year olds with cavities... I don't get it. Do parents not brush their kids teeth?

MamaRae85
by *you're on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM

My nephew had one, too. He got his by hitting his mouth as well. How that can be chalked up to bad parenting is beyond me. Kids fall. Sometimes it causes more damage than others. It's not like you're smashing his head against the wall. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

That is what happened . His sister and him were play swords in his room. He was standing on his nightstand because he is so short to be the same height as her. He fail and his mouth on the floor and it bruised his top middle tooth.

Quoting MamaRae85:A child falling down and hitting their mouth is bad parenting?Quoting Elle.tea.22:http://www.ask.com/question/bruised-tooth

Sounds like bad parenting to me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yoh would have though i was a bad parent when my ds was 5. He had one tooth that black. People didn't know that it was bruised and would have stayed that color until it fail out. It look rotten.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Quoting MamaRae85:

*I* didn't say trauma was bad parenting. Rotting teeth due to dental hygiene neglect is.
cmeeso
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Amen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mobile Photo

MamaRae85
by *you're on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM

No, someone else did.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MamaRae85:

*I* didn't say trauma was bad parenting. Rotting teeth due to dental hygiene neglect is.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM

For all those who claim there kids have bad teeth because of 'genetics'

Is Tooth Decay Genetic?
Do you get it from your parents?

How often have you heard someone say, “my mom had lot’s of cavities and I have lots of cavities too” or “my dad gave me his bad teeth”? Is there any truth to this? The short answer is NO…. and yes. Have I confused you yet? Let me try to explain.
We now know that the bacteria s. mutans causes tooth decay, or cavities. They eat sugar and secrete acid, which eats away at teeth. We also know that some bacteria are more virulent, or acid forming, than others. Numerous studies have shown that when babies are born they don’t have s. mutans in their mouth. Other studies have shown that people who wear dentures also don’t have s. mutans. The reason for this is that s. mutans lives in plaque that forms on teeth. Without teeth the plaque won’t form and s. mutans can’t be found. Therefore, since babies aren’t born with teeth and s. mutans isn’t found in their mouth tooth decay isn’t genetic. Just because your mom had lot’s of cavities doesn’t mean you will have lots of cavities.
Studies on bacteria have shown that children have the exact same genetic form of s. mutans that their parents do. In other words, children have the same bacteria in their mouth that their parents have. But I just told you tooth decay wasn’t genetic. How is this possible?
Picture this… mom is feeding her infant child and trying to get it to eat. She dips the spoon into the baby food and feeds it to the child. Then out of curiosity she tastes the baby food too. In that instant she has infected the spoon with the bacteria in her mouth and moments later feeds the child with the infected spoon. Later that day she is loving on the child and kissy kissy, smoochie smoochie again infects her child with the bacteria in her mouth.
Babies aren’t born with the bacteria that cause tooth decay. Therefore tooth decay isn’t genetic. Yet the exact same genetic form of bacteria found in parent’s mouths are found in the mouths of their children. So therefore it is genetic. Above I mentioned that some bacteria are more virulent than others. Now you know why some people blame their parents for their bad teeth. Their parents gave them the bacteria that cause tooth decay. If our parents had a lot of tooth decay are we doomed to pass this on to our children?
The answer is a resounding NO! We now know that if mother’s mouths have healthy gums and no active tooth decay they will significantly lower their bacterial counts. This means they will be less infectious and less likely to pass on the bacteria to their children.
If you know anyone who has just had a baby, is currently pregnant, or thinking about getting pregnant make her read this article. Just as it is important to visit your doctor and take pre-natal vitamins it imperative to see a dentist and get your mouth healthy. And moms, if dads like to feed and kiss their babies make sure they see the dentist too.

Ryan K. Doyle, DDS

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)