Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O...School Supplies 'Beggars'...

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 17 Replies
6 moms liked this
I want to say thank you to the OP of that post for opening up my eyes to how petty some parents are about school supplies...I honestly had no idea people cared that much...this is my first year buying supplies...

Seriously, it's crayons and glue sticks...little kids couldn't care less what brand they are, as long as they have some to use...the brand issues are parent issues, and (IMO) such a crappy lesson to teach your child...

So, in honor of your post, I am taking my DD out to buy her supplies and we are going to buy 2 of each item requested, to help out her classmates who may not have as much...I figure that's a better lesson to teach our children...

Thanks for the inspiration OP :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Good for you!

We usually buy extra too!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Our school list has specific brands but most of the brands listed are fairly cheap right before school starts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM
We buy extra of the Kleenex, hand sanitizer, baggies, etc. The stuff I know people will not buy on principle. I think it's all crazy. I would spend that much on supplies during the year if they were staying home with me also.
yikesitsmindy
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
I remember picking out my own folders and pencils and how special it felt. I would have been upset to dump them all together. I didn't even know schools did that before this site.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Our list is about half and half...like, they specify Crayola markers, but any kind of crayons...

Quoting Anonymous:

Our school list has specific brands but most of the brands listed are fairly cheap right before school starts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Kids are fairly adaptable and generally inherently kind...if you explain why some people do community supplies, most kids wouldn't blink an eye...

I know my daughter is excited about picking out supplies, period, and making friends :)

Quoting yikesitsmindy:

I remember picking out my own folders and pencils and how special it felt. I would have been upset to dump them all together. I didn't even know schools did that before this site.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uhura
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Eh, I was one of those kids who cared about what brand of crayon I got. Rose Art just never colored as well.

But I do applaud you for getting extra supplies for the kids who need them.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

MamaBurmie
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM
A lot of schools request brand specific items.

I don't mind buying extras for the class but the stuff my child picks for himself should be used for him.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM
I was kind of surprised at my list...tissues and sanitizer are not on it...just one box of Ziplocs...

Quoting Anonymous:

We buy extra of the Kleenex, hand sanitizer, baggies, etc. The stuff I know people will not buy on principle. I think it's all crazy. I would spend that much on supplies during the year if they were staying home with me also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Our list is a mix...

Quoting MamaBurmie:

A lot of schools request brand specific items.

I don't mind buying extras for the class but the stuff my child picks for himself should be used for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured