Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you poor? Do you still give?

Both DH and I are disabled and I am a full time student. We don't have very much money and live on a fixed income.

With that being said my son has no idea of how little money we have. My mom got him a $75 season pass to Story Land in NH. We take him for 50 cent ice cream cones at Burger King. He will have an ice cream at McDonalds and use the play area. We also go to the park a lot. He has had a lot of things to do this summer.

We still find a way to give to people who have less than us.

If you are poor and would like to help you can donate many gently used items to homeless shelters, donate used toys in good condition to a state funded daycare program, or simply just give a homeless person on the side of the road a few bucks or get them a cheap meal. Also it's always a good idea to walk around a city in the winter with blankets that are no longer being used and hand them out. If you knit or crochet project Linus will take handmade blankets for donation to children in need.
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I don't want to finance someone elses bad habit. I don't mind giving  to  help feed someone but i do not want to help someone get wasted.

Quoting I_RitShainbows:

I don't personally care what they use the money for. As long as they are happy.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am poor i do donate our old clothes because i have had to use the the goodwill myself from time to time. as far as giving money i usually use my better judgement on that. I tend not to do it because i worry that they will use it for beer. but i have from time to time. one time I was at a store and a homeless man asked me for a $1 for something eat at first i wasn't going to give it to him but my 13 year old dd beg me to help him out so i gave him $5.

we live in florida so the winter isn't much of an issue for us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a meme I love that basically says those with the least give the most. It seems to be true.

We have very little money. Our bank account is usually negative. Yet, I give when possible. I have an at-home business and make many donations throughout the year (i.e. give away product). I also donate to certain charities. And I actually gave to a homeless man the other day in Baltimore. And my husband has donations taken out of his check every week. We don't have much but we still try to help others out.

HisAngel91
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM
We are poor. And we give as much as we can. When we can.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I'm not rich, but well off I guess. I don't do charities so much as try to help individuals. Things like kid's clothes and toys, school stuff, groceries, Christmas/birthday gifts, etc. I hate to see a child in need since it's never the child's fault for whatever struggles the parents are having. I used to be dirt poor though so I know it's not as simple as "get a better job" or the endless lists of "you should have done this, that and the other." I think what you experience probably involves people that have never been in that situation.

Quoting I_RitShainbows:

Same here

People seem to think poor people are horrid for some reason. In fact I've seen it the other way around. Everyone I know who has money doesn't donate to anything. The ones I know also seem to have a holier than thou stick shoved up their ass. These are just my personal experiences though. I know not everyone is like them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do. Not much, but we do what we can.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM

That is a good thing you do OP.  My family has never been poor or even close to it, but my dh has money pulled from his check to donate to a charity that helps abused women and I will donate things  and money throughout the year.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

We are not poor and we also don't donate much aside from dropping of our out grown clothes at the Goodwill.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
I_RitShainbows
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Baltimore! I love John Waters. I know that's way OT...lol

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a meme I love that basically says those with the least give the most. It seems to be true.

We have very little money. Our bank account is usually negative. Yet, I give when possible. I have an at-home business and make many donations throughout the year (i.e. give away product). I also donate to certain charities. And I actually gave to a homeless man the other day in Baltimore. And my husband has donations taken out of his check every week. We don't have much but we still try to help others out.

Val99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I are considered in the 1% and we give about 25% of our annual income to charity or use it to support our volunteer work.  When I've travelled to The Sudan, Somalia, Ethiopia, Haiti, etc, plane tickets can be costly so I always pay my own way when travelling for a charity I work with.  Just so you know (even online) one person who still gives.

Quoting I_RitShainbows:

Same here
People seem to think poor people are horrid for some reason. In fact I've seen it the other way around. Everyone I know who has money doesn't donate to anything. The ones I know also seem to have a holier than thou stick shoved up their ass. These are just my personal experiences though. I know not everyone is like them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I_RitShainbows
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM
They haven't, my sister was like this until the day her ex husband (rip) quit his job out of the blue and she had to call me for what to do...lol
I just about died. She had no idea how to get along in life with nothing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not rich, but well off I guess. I don't do charities so much as try to help individuals. Things like kid's clothes and toys, school stuff, groceries, Christmas/birthday gifts, etc. I hate to see a child in need since it's never the child's fault for whatever struggles the parents are having. I used to be dirt poor though so I know it's not as simple as "get a better job" or the endless lists of "you should have done this, that and the other." I think what you experience probably involves people that have never been in that situation.

Quoting I_RitShainbows:

Same here

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM
What's your disability?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN