Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE At My Wits END!!! HELP! Long

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM
  • 831 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 15 month old daughter has gotten these sportac, intense, bloody diaper rashes basically since the day she was born. 

I drank lemonade like a crazy person when she was first born, and she kept getting these intense diaper rashes, where skin was literally slothing off her little bottom! She was in agony, and we finally figured out with the peditrition that it was the citric acid. (Duh, right? I know) as soon as I cut out lemonade, it cleared up. 

As so got older, I took a sip of orange juice, bloody, skin slipping off diaper rash. 

Lemon on fish I ordered once, bloody diaper rash. I mean. She is senistive to it!!!!

So, obviously I cut out all acid foods, asked lots of questions when we went out. She was fine. Perfect little bum. 

When she starts eating solids, I give her all the normal baby foods: avocado, banana, peas, fruits, veggies, eggs, fish. She fine. Fine fine fine. 

But then it's not. Suddenly, she's got these nasty rashes again, so we start doing elimination diets. No fruit except for bananas and blueberries pass the test. Corn is fine, but my mother slipped her a tortilla chip once and she got a skin falling off diaper rash. Ok, corn ok, corn chips or tortillas, not ok. No tomatoes, no Lima beans. No black beans. 

I keep taking her to the pedi, begging him for help. He's basically, "there's not much we can do except eliminate what you figure out what sets her off". BUT IT'S SO RANDOM!!!! She's in agony whenever it happens!

Eventually, reluctantly, the pedi tells us to see a dermatologist. I asked why not an allergist, and he says this will give us more answers. I can't see how - this is obviously food related... Sure it presents itself with her skin, but... So we go to the dermatologist. He's a huggggeeee asshole, tells me there's such thing as disposable diapers now (we cloth diaper during the day, disposable at night) I know, dude. Don't be a dick. I explain how we use both, and there isn't a connection with her diaper type. It's what she eats. He says there's no such thing as a "fruit allergy" and she can't possible be intolerant or corn tortillas but be fine with corn. When I absently mention that we use an all natural shampoo/body wash he says "the bubonic plague was all-natural" alright, dick. Thanks for being useless, an asshole, and give me looks as if to say I'm a crazy bitch to bring a baby here with a damn diaper rash. Like, I'm some psycho mom over reacting about a little normal diaper rash. Useless. 

I drop it for awhile, figuring elimination diet ought to be the answer. But tonight, she got one again. She's screaming in agony when I have to take her diaper off. When she's diaper-less, she's literally just standing there, her feet spread apart, unable to walk or sit for the pain. I try giving her a nice bath, and she's just screaming, wont let the water touch her butt. I took a video and some pictures of the rash. I'm in tears. She's in tears. 

Shes finally sleeping now. I wanted to take her to the ER, but my husband didnt think it was a good idea, being that its Saturday night and he thinks we'll get nothing from it: they'll look at us like we're over reacting about a damn diaper rash, give us some cream with a little bit higher grade of medicine (it doesn't work. We've tried it) and will not listen to our theory that its food connected. 

I have NO idea what food set her off today? I want to feed her healthy foods, but the list keeps shrinking!!! What should I do? Should I have taken her to he ER?

UPDATE:

So it's been a few months. After making this post and reading the comments, I took a lot of people's advice and made appointments with a pediatric GI and a pediatric allergist and those appointments are coming up. 

But I need some reassurance / advice. 

Ever since the day I made this post, her skin hasn't actually "fallen off" again. No more bloody bums. We've had quite a few instances of hives on her bottom, welts, red angry rashes, and QUITE a few yeast infections, but everything started clearing up before the skin ever started coming off again. She's still in a lot of pain during angry red rashes and itches her bottom like crazy during the welt/hive rashes. 

PLUS - it's happening less often. What used to be a non-stop when she was a newborn and a regular once or twice a month occurrence when I made this post has continued to go down, and only happens about once a month, maybe less - for only a day or so (except the yeast infections - those things are stubborn). 

I've been keeping a food journal and writing down the dates of her rashes / welts / bumps since I made the appointments. The bad ones I take pictures of. 

But since this post, it's gotten even less consistent. I can find almost no food connection at all anymore. She's since eaten tortillas, and was perfectly fine. Had a seafood pasta with lemon sauce and was perfectly fine. I've not once been able to see her break out in a rash / welts and been able to look at her food journal and say "ah ha! You are the culprit!" Because almost always it's been filled with foods she's had for a few days, even a few weeks or months without any reaction before. 

I guess what I'm saying here is: I'm worried I'm going to walk my daughter into these appointments, tell them this history, show them the photos and food journal and I'm going to hear crickets from them. Like, wtf are you thinking, lady? They'll pat me on my shoulder while gently guiding us out telling us this isn't a allergy or a GI problem, it's a "curse of the fair skin" problem (which I've heard quite a few times!). 

Am I crazy? Since its steadily going down in instances and I can find no real rhyme or reason - is it even logical to be keeping these appointments or am I wasting everyone's, including my own, time?

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeAmour
by Tonya on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM
40 moms liked this
Nah. Er is a quick fix not a diagnostic thing for that type of thing. I'd demand to see an allergist since the dermatologist was useless.
mkjmommy
by Brandi on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM
28 moms liked this
I would find a pediatrician that will help you. You know what your daughter needs are more than anyone and they need to listen and help you. I hope you get answers soon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM
15 moms liked this

I would take her to an allergist ASAP.

Our pediatrician wouldn't believe me that ds' hives were food related. He was 15 months. I charted when he ate, what he ate, and how he reacted. It looked suspiciously like a wheat allergy, but she refused to do anything. So I took him to a pediatric allergist anyway and he was allergic to soy, milk, casein, wheat, peanuts, eggs, fish/shellfish. The allergies to wheat, nuts, and eggs were bad enough that he had to get an EpiPen. He's 8 now, never needed the Epi, and has since outgrown all the allergies. 

BaltimoreBaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I know. It was just a knee-jerk thought because she was in so much pain...

I love her pedi about everything BUT this food/diaper rash thing. He just seems to think... Tough it out? That it won't be an issue when she's not in diapers anymore. Which, maybe? But she's only 15 months. Lots of babies don't potty train that young. She's got a potty and we sit on it a few times a day but I rarely get anything from her and she doesn't seem to get that connection a all yet, so...

the thing her pedi said in regards to an allergist is that it seems to be an intolerance... She doesn't have an immediate reaction, she doesn't have any swelling, trouble breathing, no body rashes. It's once the food passes that it becomes an issue. He said there's no way to test an intolerance. That a skin prick test only works for a full-blown allergy... 

Thoughts?

Quoting BeAmour:

Nah. Er is a quick fix not a diagnostic thing for that type of thing. I'd demand to see an allergist since the dermatologist was useless.

BaltimoreBaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

With her, though, there's no immediate reaction. Her pedi said an allergist can't test for something with such a long delayed reaction time, and no skin reactions besides a diaper rash. He says an allergist can't test an intolerance, and that she's got intolerances. Does that ring true? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I would take her to an allergist ASAP.

Our pediatrician wouldn't believe me that ds' hives were food related. He was 15 months. I charted when he ate, what he ate, and how he reacted. It looked suspiciously like a wheat allergy, but she refused to do anything. So I took him to a pediatric allergist anyway and he was allergic to soy, milk, casein, wheat, peanuts, eggs, fish/shellfish. The allergies to wheat, nuts, and eggs were bad enough that he had to get an EpiPen. He's 8 now, never needed the Epi, and has since outgrown all the allergies. 

bmrsas
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM
6 moms liked this
Aquaphor. Would be a quick fix it always works on my daughter..
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM
5 moms liked this

Just take her to an allergist. It's gone on too long.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM
8 moms liked this
What about slathering her bottom with A&D ointment every time to prevent things from penetrating her skin?
My middle daughter had terrible diaper rash that was what bloody and painful. A&D was a preventative lifesaver.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM
11 moms liked this
Oh, and I agree, the dr was a total jerk to treat you the way he did... I'd report him
BaltimoreBaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I've tried that. I've tried nearly every diaper cream/ skin shield out there. Destin still seems to work best, but... It's not that she's sitting in a soiled diaper. It's that her pee / poo is literally BURNING her as its coming out. When I say her skin is 'slothing off' I'm not exaggerating. It's literally falling off. Little strips of skin, bubbling up then slipping off. 

It looks exactly like a chemical burn. Or a hot oil burn. Having a veryveryveryvery thick layer or ointment helps some, but inevitably, between cleaning her, letting her go diaper-less, between changes and the two minutes between when she potties and when I catch it / change her, she's burned. 

Quoting bmrsas:

Aquaphor. Would be a quick fix it always works on my daughter..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)