Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Skipping meals so the kids can eat UPDATED

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 531 Replies

Thank you to the people who gave me all these shopping tips. I will definitely be using them.
Now to the "haters" once again I am not usually in this situation. We HAD to move. Dh is military. The military paid 10 days of hotels for us. We have been waiting on our household goods for 2 months now. It was an overseas move. So we stayed with family. We got a place which is still empty so I had to buy a pot and pan to cook and bought the kids an air mattress. We used our entire savings on our place. $3.5k for month and a half rent, 1k security deposit, $800 ammenity fee. Then gas and food, and more hotels for the trip to our place from family. Other money went to turning on all utilities. We don't have cable or internet. I'm using my phone. We can't live on a military base bc the one we were supposed to go to was destroyed in the hurricane. This is a rough patch and we will be fine. Don't tell me I'm a bad mom, bc you don't know me.

So we just moved and this pay period still has 11 days and money is low bc of the move. Everything that could go wrong has. So I requested a higher limit on my credit card and bought $100 in groceries. All meals for the kids. ( I bought rice, meats, veggies so me and dh can eat that also but I only got enough for 7 days so I'm trying not to eat some meals so the kids will get it)

Me and dh had a can of Vienna sausages for dinner each.(We already had them) My babies won't go without. I never thought I'd be posting about this but it is what it is. At least ill jump start my weight loss! Oh and I promise I'm not trolling. I just am bored and drinking the 4 loko I had left. (I didn't buy alcohol over food to the person who assumed I did, even tho I said I had it) Makes me talk lol.

Eta- The loko was left over. I didn't buy it with that 100. So were the Vienna sausages. Money for food is never tight. Just some things went wrong during our move and we came up very short. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I've planned it out to where most nights we will have enough but some nights not so much. I learned a lot of great ideas from you all so thank you so much. I'm going to try shopping like this next time I go to the store. Also I live in NJ for those wondering. $100 doesn't get much like it would in the south.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM
3 moms liked this
Weightloss is the one good thing about a very tight grocery budget. I have been planning on lots of watered down soup (cabbage, French onion, and veggie) and beans and rice for dinner for the next several months. You're right - it is what it is. I know how you feel about everything going wrong that can.
taKENheart
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM
15 moms liked this

You don't have to all go without.  You could buy a bag of dried beans to cook.  There are ways to stretch your dollars at the grocery store.  I'm sorry you are having to go through this but don't give up and keep looking for tips for making meals cheap, easy and affordable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM
5 moms liked this

I do that often.I will always do without for my kids.

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM
4 moms liked this

Why not go to a food pantry for help?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Dh never would. I think his pride would go to shit. As long as the kids are fed I'm okay. Ramen noodles are cheap. And its only 11 days.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Why not go to a food pantry for help?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Definitely been there. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Pasta, rice, and beans are cheap. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM
I need to learn how to make these. I love soup. Off to Google.

Quoting RissyLee:

Weightloss is the one good thing about a very tight grocery budget. I have been planning on lots of watered down soup (cabbage, French onion, and veggie) and beans and rice for dinner for the next several months. You're right - it is what it is. I know how you feel about everything going wrong that can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Yeah, I went to Walmart and bought 10 of the pasta and rice sides and ramen noodles, rice and mac n cheese. Then today I bought meats. I know the kids wont eat it all so we will just eat leftovers. I'm not worrying bc at least there is food in the house.

Quoting Anonymous:

Pasta, rice, and beans are cheap. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Super easy. I make a vegetarian French onion soup. All it takes is onions, vegetable broth, and some seasoning. Veggie soup is really easy - vegetables (potatoes, onions, corn, beans, bell peppers, and tomatoes) in vegetable broth with some seasoning. I actually use the weightloss cabbage soup that came out years ago, and I add some extra things to it. I can make a huge batch for very cheap. I freeze extra portions of the soup so it doesn't go bad.

Quoting Anonymous:

I need to learn how to make these. I love soup. Off to Google.

Quoting RissyLee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)