Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My mother in law is moving in for two months

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:42 AM
  • 15 Replies
We are in the process of moving into our new home. I was talking to a woman I know about the move and mentioned it was great to have an extra room since my mother in law is moving in for a couple of months. She's in between homes so we offered for her to come stay with us. I'm due in September so it will be great to have her help and she loves spending time with my six year old son. The woman looked shocked and said "oh wow, I'm so sorry", I asked what for, and she said "your mother in law is moving in? I'd rather shoot myself, I don't know how you could be okay with that." Does everyone have such a big issue with their mother in laws? She raised my husband on her own, she's a great woman who is just so accepting, strong, and kind to everyone. Even though my son is her stepgrandchild she has accepted him as her grandson from day one. Whatever makes my husband happy she's completely in support of and she's always been there for him. We would do anything for her.
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmommy06
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Good luck with that. I truly hope she is as wonderful as she sounds. We just got rid of my MIL after staying with us for 11 months. And if I sound bitter, I am. My MIL is not a wonderful person & even my husband has said never again. It was NOT a good experience for us.
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Why is she "inbetween" homes? That is what would concern me. Surely at this point in her life she has a stable income and her own home?
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Good luck with that. My FIL was only supposed to live with us for 2 months and it turned into 3 horrible years.  I would never do it again.  Both of his parents are a little crazy and very entitled 

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Most of the time, the women who said it would only be a few months wind up having their MILs move in permanently, and they want to shoot them. 

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Quoting wickedfiress:

Why is she "inbetween" homes? That is what would concern me. Surely at this point in her life she has a stable income and her own home?

She lives here and there, shes a free spirit. Shes an artist so thats her income, along with odd jobs like nannying. She doesn't want to live in one permanent spot, so she doesn't have a house. She used to move all over the country, but my husband said he wanted to go to high school in one place so she stopped in our town and when we got married, she decided she wouldn't go too far since she wants to be close to him. The lease in her last place was up and she wanted a change, but she can't move into her new place until October, she was planning on just living in her car, so we said come stay with us.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:01 AM

She isn't like that. She has stayed with us before for a few weeks at a time and always leaves when she says she will. Plus she can move into her new apartment in October so its not like she is unsure of her next place. Shes very helpful, self sufficiant, and would never want to be a burden. She was planning on living in her car until she could move into her new place, but we begged her to just stay with us.

Quoting lovemymini:

Good luck with that. My FIL was only supposed to live with us for 2 months and it turned into 3 horrible years.  I would never do it again.  Both of his parents are a little crazy and very entitled 

hernandez122902
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I wish I could have my mil move in with us :) I love her so much and she love my kids and me too. I've known her since I was 14 and she has treated me as her own since day one.

csxt99
by Jennifer on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:41 AM

You hit the jackpot in the MIL lottery.  Most of us don't.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:44 AM
I love my MIL. She's awesome.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:11 AM

My MIL and FIL live with us I enjoy having her around. My boys love her and her and I are shopping buddies. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)