Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

disney movies and west side story

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM
  • 14 Replies
So I have a 9 yr old and a 10 yr old. Disney just showed their new movie the other night called teen beach movie. Its about a young couple who get sucked into west side story. I was thinking about recording it for all of us girls to watch. Dh loves west side story I don't remember ever seeing it although I'm sure I have but I was thinking about renting it and doing a movie comparison with them. I know its rated pg13 but I also know the movie is old. Like 1961 so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how bad it actually is like would u let a 9 or 10 yr watch it?
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I LOE West Side Story!!

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Well I can't stand west side story lol, but I think it would be fine for my child to watch. I mean, its less violent than the superhero flicks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaBerg85
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Is it a bloody movie. I think language we can ignore but my 10yr old will freak if there is too much blood.

Quoting wrensong:

I LOE West Side Story!!

Val99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I mentioned this post to dh and now he's running around the house singing "I Feel Pretty".  Thanks. :/

The movie is fine for kids.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

No, there isnt blood.....two characters DO get shot and die, but it isnt at all bloody...you hear a gunshot, the characters fall...you know they die, but nothing like the graphic voilence of today...and ther is a LOT of singing and dancing!

Quoting mamaBerg85:

Is it a bloody movie. I think language we can ignore but my 10yr old will freak if there is too much blood.

Quoting wrensong:

I LOE West Side Story!!

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I don't see an issue with a child watching West Side Story, it's a musical and even the, "violent", scenes are set to music and are choreographed.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
From the little I have seen of this movie, it's not west side story, but one of those beach movies they get sucked in to.

I don't think they are too young for west side story!
We were watching it early. My grandparents, Maria and Tony, saw that for their first "date", so it's a special movie in my family! Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting Val99:

I mentioned this post to dh and now he's running around the house singing "I Feel Pretty".  Thanks. :/

The movie is fine for kids.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Quoting MIA0223:

From the little I have seen of this movie, it's not west side story, but one of those beach movies they get sucked in to.

I don't think they are too young for west side story!
We were watching it early. My grandparents, Maria and Tony, saw that for their first "date", so it's a special movie in my family! Lol.

You are correct. It is not WSS at all...it is more like Beach Blanket Bingo with Annette Funicello. I watched it with my oldest dd the other night when it premiered. Personally, I thought it was terribly made. The acting is cheesy. 

OP- My oldest likes Oklahoma and Calamity Jane. :-) 

The move is not like WSS at all by the way. They get sucked into a beach musical with the bikers against the surfers and how they change the course of the movie. It is nothing like WSS at all, but more like the beach musicals with Frankie Avalon in them. I was hoping it would be as well done as HSM, but it was not. My 7.5 year old liked it okay, but she even said the acting was horrible and not as good as HSM. It is definitely not Disney's best work. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM
The movie they get "sucked into" was actually called WET Side Story. I watched it with my kiddos the night it premiered and I also thought it was west side story. It took me a little while to figure it out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN