Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i guess it is a regional thing

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 60 Replies
I live in Houston and when I was young renting an apartment rent was due by the 3rd if it wasn't paid on the morning of the 4th you got the pay or move out notice and then if in 72 hours if you had not paid then they make you leave. I am pretty sure it is still this way bc I have friends in apartments and you can walk through their complexes and see the pink letters lol. I am reading in other places you can pay your rent weeks or months late? Someone told me in NY you can not pay for months and the landlord can't do jack. What have your experiences been?
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheDoctorsWife
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I grew up in So. Cal. and all the apartments I rented wanted rent on the first.  I have no idea what the late notices rules were because I didnt pay my rent late.

2Sparrows4ever
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM
No experience with renting, I went from living with my parents to owning my own home
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Pay your rent or GTFO.

I'm standing landlord for a few local businesses.

They pay on time, always.

casseopeia
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM

The laws vary state to state.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM
In NY, they have to take you to court. They can't just kick you out.
2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I had to pay late once and they stuck it to me with fees lol never made that mistake again.

Quoting Anonymous:

I grew up in So. Cal. and all the apartments I rented wanted rent on the first.  I have no idea what the late notices rules were because I didnt pay my rent late.

kamrynlily07
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I'm in Houston too (well, Kemah) but when we rented apartments rent was always due on the 1st. Now we are renting a house from an individual and it's due on the 5th. I guess it just depends on the landlord.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiew2012
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM

When I lived in Colo, the due date of rent varied, but almost all were due within the first 5 days of the month. What happened after that differed. 

Now I live in Wyoming. I guess there is a law here that prohibits a landlord from evicting someone after a certain day of the year, I think it is in September. Something to do with the bitter cold winter. This time last year, the next door neighbors were evicted for lack of payment. I heard they had not paid their rent in months. The landlord came from California to evict them and to get the place ready to sale. He said he had to kick them out when he did or he'd be up a creek without a paddle come winter. The house eventually sold to a beautiful family. 

edited for typo

Katie, proud wife of a railroader, and a future mother-to-be! 

I am the admin for a fb group for women who love a railroader. If you love a railroader, please join us. Search for Railroad Wives, Girlfriends, and Significant Others.

I only reply if I've been quoted, or I happen to look and see a response. So, if you want to discuss with me, please quote me. :) Thank-you and good day!

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Lol so happy I don't rent now, so where you are there are No allowances for being late ?

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Pay your rent or GTFO.

I'm standing landlord for a few local businesses.

They pay on time, always.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN