Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We are moving without telling our landlord. Are we being unreasonable?.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 112 Replies
We move into this house 3 years ago. It was nice. A few problems. But the landlord kept up on them.

But then he sold the house.

The man that bought it be Me out new landlord l. And we never had a lease with him.

This house is falling apart as he refuses to do anything, but gets pissed of we fix things out selves.

The floor in front of the bathroom sink is caving in. He's known this for 6 months.

The tub no longer drains. He's known for 5 months. And know the Sewage has started to drain into the yard.

We tried hiring someone to fix these things but we were told my them that they couldn't send anyone under the house because there is a chance of spiders being under there, and last month we were told that there is a large amount of mild under the house z

Shortly after he bought the house, our ceiling starting leaking in the kitchen and in oldest dds room.

It's started raining heavily and the ceiling in dds room is caving in, there'd already a hole (we moved her into another room.) 3 weeks after later he comes to fix it. Know what he did?

But a large piece of wood over the hole, nailed it there and left.

We found a house a block away and can start putting things in immediately and actually move in on the first.

We are going to love everything snd move in on the first, and we aren't going to tell the landlord.

We will leave the house clean and in the best possible shape.

I've taken pictures of
Everything wrong with the house as well as a walk through video.

. We couldn't move any quicker, we couldn't find anything available or anything we could get too (we don't have car).

8 months we've been dealing with him and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that these things to be fixed. He expects his rent in full and on time every month but yet he doesn't seems to think he should have to fix anything that's wrong with the house.

My mil called this morning and apparently im being completely unreasonable and haven't given him
Nearly enough time to fix these things.

I say he's had plenty of time.....

What do you think..?

Rent not due till the 3rd.
We've sent emails and letter. Plus we've called with complaints.
We've never had a lease with him.
And I'll call him after we've moved.

The old landlord sold the house when our lease with him ran out. We never signed a new lease with this landlord, he said he didn't want to and that it wouldn't be necessary
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Have you sent documented written complaints for any of these issues? 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I would move out if I were you too. However I would give my 30 days notice. And if you had a security deposit you can now kiss that good bye.

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:11 PM

i would have moved months ago.  nothing wrong with taking care of the family.  he'll just have to deal

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

do it correctly or face back-rent charges in civ court.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you should tell him. Not because he deserves it. But to keep yourself out of trouble. Keep pictures, document everything. Write him a letter if you can.

You don't want to screw yourself over in any way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM
We've called, sent letters and emails.

Quoting JulyBabies:

Have you sent documented written complaints for any of these issues? 

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

One the one hand, plenty of time.  But on the other, it depends on how you notified him.  Unless you sent him a certified letter stating the defect so you have legally acceptable proof of how long he has had notice of the condition - you may be stuck.  And a judge may question how the house's condition deteriorated so quickly in only 3 years. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I'd say eff it and move. He sounds like a terrible landlord. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Rent isn't due until the 3rd. We will be out before them. And I'll call him after we've moved.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

do it correctly or face back-rent charges in civ court.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM
3 moms liked this
You are on a month to month lease. Move
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN