Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's your favorite replacement for meat?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM
  • 39 Replies

I'm getting tired of eating chicken & currently I'm not eating any red meat. Going to police academy this year and I need to lose weight.

Any suggestion?

Still trying to lose 25lbs. I will not give up! :)

Still trying to lose this last 25lbs. I won't give up.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I like falafel and hummus - high in protein and yumminess :)

Most beans and nuts are good, as is quinoa. Just make sure you are getting plenty of dark greens to keep your iron up.

charmgirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I like boca burgers.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Fish is another alternative although it is meat:)

I like avocados, tempeh, black beans, and silken tofu.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

First of all, you are not too fat to be a cop.

To answer your question, I like beans.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Soybeans

“Soy is a complete protein with an amino acid profile that rivals steak—only without the excess calories and artery-clogging fat and cholesterol,” says Janet Brill, PhD, RD, author of Cholesterol DOWNand Prevent a Second Heart Attack. The nutritional champions of the legume world, soybeans are also packed with vitamins, minerals,fiber, and disease-fighting plant compounds. “The best way to eat soy protein is in its least processed forms: edamame, soy milk, tofu, and natto are your best bets,” says

Best: Beans, Peas, and Lentils

Legumes are a low-cost way to fill up on protein. Lentils, for example, cost pennies on the dollar and provide 9 g of protein per half-cup along with fiber, vitamins, and minerals, notes Brill. “Lentils cook up quickly and can be tossed into salads, added to pasta sauce, or eaten as a side dish,” she says. Also try mixing peas into a salad, serving beans as a side dish or using them to jazz up a salad or vegetable-based soup, and making chickpeas into hummus and using it as a sandwich spread. 

Best: Seeds and Raw Nuts

“Nuts and seeds are super sources of plant protein as well as fiber and vitamin E,” says Brill. “Some are rich in ALA, the plant version of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acid.” But they’re high in fat, so adhere to portion sizes (a serving of almonds is 1 ounce—about 23 pieces—which contains 164 calories and 6 g of protein) and pick dry-roasted, unsalted varieties. Can’t resist scooping up these snacks by the handful? Use nut butter as a sandwich base or enjoy it as part of a snack, like peanut butter and apple slices, suggests Brill. 

Best: Whole Grains

“Grains are a great source of proteinas well as fiber, vitamins, minerals, and disease-fighting antioxidants,” says Brill. “Just make sure the grains you choose are whole, as processed grains lose their fiber, natural vitamins and minerals, and most of their protein.” And don’t snack on slices of multigrain bread solo and expect to reap the protein benefits of beef. By themselves, most grains, seeds, nuts, and legumes don’t contain all nine essential amino acids, says Giancoli. “But if we pair grains with legumes—or legumes with nuts or seeds, that makes a complete protein.” Try brown rice and beans, whole wheat couscous with lentils, or hummus made with garbanzo beans and sesame seeds, she suggests.

Sweetie1216
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Tried hummus, didn't like it.. I'm so sick of almonds, I'll look into that quinoa and falafel (Never heard of it).

Thanks! :)

Quoting B1Bomber:

I like falafel and hummus - high in protein and yumminess :)

Most beans and nuts are good, as is quinoa. Just make sure you are getting plenty of dark greens to keep your iron up.

ZombieMeat
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Shitake and portabella mushrooms, beans, quinoa
Do you like salmon?
AlohaTink
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Black beans and portobello mushrooms
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM

seafood

pork

turkey

Sweetie1216
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I only like my fish fried, that's my problem with fish. Hate avocados, never tried tofu or tempeh. I love all beans.

The texture of tofu scares me. :)

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Fish is another alternative although it is meat:)

I like avocados, tempeh, black beans, and silken tofu.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)