Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids Having Pics of Parents Together After Split/Divorce (STFG)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: Should the photo stay at the ex's house?

Options:

Yes, the child should respect their parent's partner and keep it with the other parent.

No, the parent's partner needs to get over it.

Kill it. Kill it with fire and make the kid watch.

Other (because there's alwaya an other)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 40

View Results

For those who are step parents or long term partner to someone with children, what is your view of the children having photos of their parents when they were together?  Not family photos, but like older photos of the parents as a couple, before children and stuff.

In another group, a step parent was complaining about the fact that her husband's ex had given the child a photo of them, taken some time before they had kids.  The step mom felt the ex was out of bounds and the photo did not belong at their home.  Many other step moms told her she needed to get over it because the child had a right to own the photo and keep it at whichever home they pleased.  Some said photos that did not include the children were inappropriate and had no place in their home.

I say if you have an issue with an old photo of your partner with an ex being in your home, you have issues.  It's not for your partner, it's for their children and they have a right to keep that in whichever home they please.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Respect the parent's partner.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I should add that the photo would most likely not be on display and kept in the child's room. 

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM
My parents divorced when I was 10 and was never very civil with each other. I have pictures of them together and I cherish them. That step mom needs to get over it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM

My ex and I divorced after a 7 year relationship and 2 year marriage with no children.  He played a large role in my niece's life from the time she was born until our divorce when she was 4.  She still keeps a picture of the three of us on her desk because she admired and loved him so much.  I don't have a problem with it, neither does my DH. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I have photo albums for each of my boys. Different dads for both of them. It's basically a collection of photos of when they were younger with their dad. Happier days. It makes it easier on them when they wonder why their dad is not there. One was abusive the other lazy. I don't bad mouth either of their dads, I only say the nice positive things of days long gone. They will found out the truth as they get older. Their counselor told me it might help them let go easier.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM

GMAB. The partner needs to get over the fact that their SO had a relationship before them.

Mrs.Brugger
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM

eh. idk. my ex gave DS a picture of...hmm now I can't remember if it was just ex and I or DS was with us, either way, he put it in a frame and kept it next to DS's bed. I thought it was really weird. DS was about to turn 4. We had broken up right after her turned 2. I went to pick him up one day and he brought it to me and said that I was happy and not crying. I worried that he would be confused seeing ex and I together in that pic. I don't really know how I feel about it. I don't know if he still has it or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Me and my kids father isn't together I'm remarried and hes with someone else. But my kids who are 9&10 have a album of me and their dad when we was together. But they keep it in there room, put away . My husband knows about it and isn't mad but my kids know to keep the albums in.their rooms
Luv_my_hubby
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM

My ex's new wife threw away any photo that had both parents and the child in. I only gave my ex copies of photos out of fear of this.

He told me years later. She didn't want any reminders of his past wife in his home. She was his mistress while we were married.. She was very very jealous and not trusting for many many years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM

And FTR, I'm a kid from a divorced family.  Neither my stepdad or stepmom had an issue with me and my brother having photos of our parents together. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN