Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Adopting a dog is like adopting a baby.

Posted by   + Show Post
Kind of.

Dh and I have been thinking about getting another dog. Not this week or next-but sometime around the end of the year or beginning of the new year. We lost our male chi a few weeks ago. It seems as though our female chi is adjusting okay so we don't think another companion is necessary for her and with DS starting school in the fall we want to wait and see how he adjusts to that. We both plan to volunteer at DS' school and he's also doing soccer so a puppy that's a few months old will be hard to train on top of all that. We also both work full time and I'm a full time student PLUS I have a part-time job (I work retail. Its like I'm NEVER home during the holidays between school and work). So we really want to get all of that under control and get through the holiday season before getting another puppy.

I was thinking we could adopt. We've gotten our past two dogs from breeders because I really wanted a certain breed and chihuahuas-they can be kind of neurotic. We wanted a puppy so we knew what we were getting. That might sound harsh but with a little kid I didn't want to risk having an older dog that could have some left over issues from their former owners. I felt better raising the dog from very early on. It worked better for our family.

But now that our son is older and is used to dog and knows how to behave around them and with them, we think an older dog from a rescue could be a good fit for our family. But seriously. These applications-the questions-they're kind of...intense. First of all, I was already accused TWICE of wanting a dog for Christmas and I got a lecture from two different people about how people buy dogs for Christmas and then find out its too much for them to handle and they take the dog to the pound. I explained that no, that actually wasn't true. I want the dog AFTER Christmas. And of course I explained that we had a dog already, we had no plans to get rid of her, lol. But its like they weren't hearing me.

One of rescues I talked to was really alarmed that my dog had died. I explained that it was a shock and she kept asking about the medical care the dog had received. I said over and over again that we were shocked because everything had been fine at the last check-up. She said we should have been taking our dogs in more often. Our vet has NEVER said our dogs need to come in twice a year for regular check-ups. In fact, my vet always laughed at me for being so over the top in our vet care. You know how new moms call all the time about their kid sniffling? That's how I am with my dogs. Unlike my son, they can't tell me what's wrong and what hurts like my son can so I have to go based on their behavior. If something seemed off, we were going to the vet.

Finally, I was alarmed at the home visits. One of the rescues said they stop by-unannounced for home visits. I think that's a little much. If my references check out and i pass the vet reference, once the dog comes home with me-its MY dog. Its MY home. You don't need to come. Now, I can KIND OF understand visits BEFORE the adoption. Unannounced seems strange but I think it makes more sense than visits AFTER. I don't mind someone coming once if they set up an appointment and want to make sure I don't have any big holes in my yard and even after if they want to come over and see the dog's area...but stopping by unannounced?

I don't know. I feel like they have this ridiculous standard that even i can't meet and I'm a REALLY responsible pet owner. Everyone in my home is fixed, everyone has their own space, my home is clean, we have toys for the dog, cats, we do pretty extensive training to keep them safe and happy...I just felt like they were judging me when I hadn't even done anything wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Ehhhhh Craigslist scares me. You don't know what you're getting. At least with a rescue I have an idea because they know a little bit of the animal's background.

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

Also, how about craigslist?  Might be worth a shot.

I wouldn't adopt a pitt either.  I understand.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Just don't do a pet store. I just got a puppy from one and when we brought him home he had parvo after 1,000 dollar vet bill we are stillbwaiting for them to pay us back because he wasn't healthy. I didn't want a pittor chi. Amd crCraigslist is worse out here. They want $600 for a mutt. I feel bad we didn't do the pund but I looked high and low for a dog I wanted.
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:16 PM
I wouldn't get anything from a pet store.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just don't do a pet store. I just got a puppy from one and when we brought him home he had parvo after 1,000 dollar vet bill we are stillbwaiting for them to pay us back because he wasn't healthy. I didn't want a pittor chi. Amd crCraigslist is worse out here. They want $600 for a mutt. I feel bad we didn't do the pund but I looked high and low for a dog I wanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I didn't want to either. But he looked so sad and helpless. My other dog I found on a street corner and 2 of my cats were found on the street and the other was a pound rescue. I wanted a pound puppy but couldn't find one i liked.

Quoting spooky415:

I wouldn't get anything from a pet store.

Quoting Anonymous:

mommy2alissa
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Go through a county shelter, they will not give you the 3rd degree. Both of our dogs are rescues. We adopted Ginger at 2 and Jade at 1. Now Ginger is 5 and Jade is 2 and we love them like crazy. I have thought about getting a puppy some day, but with adult dogs you already know what you are going to get. Puppies change too much. Adult dogs are who they are, and are usually house broken and gentle with kids because they have none of that puppy rambunctiousness. 

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
All of this is BS, and then people want to get mad when you just out right by a puppy. " why contribute to the breeding problem when there are so many animals already" bc I don't want the fucking Gestapo banging my fucking door down for the next 5 years. Just buy a puppy spooky and be done with it jumping through ridiculous hoops for a puppy is insane.

Quoting sheramom4:

I refuse to adopt from any of the rescues around here for the same reason. One expects you to allow home visits for a period of up to 5 years and if you refuse or they find something wrong they take the dog. So you have owned a dog, paid for everything and then they can come at any time and take it away. The things they could find "wrong" included bringing another animal into the home without notifying them, them finding a better family for the animal, your yard not being mowed to their satisfaction and a bunch of other reasons. 

Others had the same things you mentioned including an unreasonable expectation of the life of a dog. I was looking for my mom, who lost both of her Pomeranians last year. They passed away at 17 and 14 years old. This rescue wanted to know why and old age was not a correct answer. The dogs were old! They don't live forever....

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I would but unfortunately, its mostly pits in our shelters. Nothing against them but they're too big for our apartment. We need something smaller.

Quoting mommy2alissa:

Go through a county shelter, they will not give you the 3rd degree. Both of our dogs are rescues. We adopted Ginger at 2 and Jade at 1. Now Ginger is 5 and Jade is 2 and we love them like crazy. I have thought about getting a puppy some day, but with adult dogs you already know what you are going to get. Puppies change too much. Adult dogs are who they are, and are usually house broken and gentle with kids because they have none of that puppy rambunctiousness. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM
They were mad the second they found out I haven't always adopted. They were like "Just because its from a breeder doesn't mean its 'quality." They basically said every single breeder out there was a puppy mill.

Quoting 2ltlmonkeyz:

All of this is BS, and then people want to get mad when you just out right by a puppy. " why contribute to the breeding problem when there are so many animals already" bc I don't want the fucking Gestapo banging my fucking door down for the next 5 years. Just buy a puppy spooky and be done with it jumping through ridiculous hoops for a puppy is insane.

Quoting sheramom4:

I refuse to adopt from any of the rescues around here for the same reason. One expects you to allow home visits for a period of up to 5 years and if you refuse or they find something wrong they take the dog. So you have owned a dog, paid for everything and then they can come at any time and take it away. The things they could find "wrong" included bringing another animal into the home without notifying them, them finding a better family for the animal, your yard not being mowed to their satisfaction and a bunch of other reasons. 

Others had the same things you mentioned including an unreasonable expectation of the life of a dog. I was looking for my mom, who lost both of her Pomeranians last year. They passed away at 17 and 14 years old. This rescue wanted to know why and old age was not a correct answer. The dogs were old! They don't live forever....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Yup sounds about right, my friend got her hopes up about adopting a Boston terrier from one those after they were rude to her interrogated her AND her neighbors made her do all of this stuff did a home check they decided she was not a good fit because she has a little boy they knew this from the beginning she was heart broken. So I just bought her one on line and that dog is treated like a king. Those rescues would fair much better if they were not such ass holes.

Quoting spooky415:

They were mad the second they found out I haven't always adopted. They were like "Just because its from a breeder doesn't mean its 'quality." They basically said every single breeder out there was a puppy mill.

Quoting 2ltlmonkeyz:

Quoting sheramom4:

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I just think its ridiculous. They sounded so crazy I was afraid they were going to track me down and steal my chihuahua because they thought I wasn't giving her the right amount of care lol.

Quoting 2ltlmonkeyz:

Yup sounds about right, my friend got her hopes up about adopting a Boston terrier from one those after they were rude to her interrogated her AND her neighbors made her do all of this stuff did a home check they decided she was not a good fit because she has a little boy they knew this from the beginning she was heart broken. So I just bought her one on line and that dog is treated like a king. Those rescues would fair much better if they were not such ass holes.

Quoting spooky415:

Quoting 2ltlmonkeyz:

Quoting sheramom4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN