Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Adopting a dog is like adopting a baby.

Posted by   + Show Post
Kind of.

Dh and I have been thinking about getting another dog. Not this week or next-but sometime around the end of the year or beginning of the new year. We lost our male chi a few weeks ago. It seems as though our female chi is adjusting okay so we don't think another companion is necessary for her and with DS starting school in the fall we want to wait and see how he adjusts to that. We both plan to volunteer at DS' school and he's also doing soccer so a puppy that's a few months old will be hard to train on top of all that. We also both work full time and I'm a full time student PLUS I have a part-time job (I work retail. Its like I'm NEVER home during the holidays between school and work). So we really want to get all of that under control and get through the holiday season before getting another puppy.

I was thinking we could adopt. We've gotten our past two dogs from breeders because I really wanted a certain breed and chihuahuas-they can be kind of neurotic. We wanted a puppy so we knew what we were getting. That might sound harsh but with a little kid I didn't want to risk having an older dog that could have some left over issues from their former owners. I felt better raising the dog from very early on. It worked better for our family.

But now that our son is older and is used to dog and knows how to behave around them and with them, we think an older dog from a rescue could be a good fit for our family. But seriously. These applications-the questions-they're kind of...intense. First of all, I was already accused TWICE of wanting a dog for Christmas and I got a lecture from two different people about how people buy dogs for Christmas and then find out its too much for them to handle and they take the dog to the pound. I explained that no, that actually wasn't true. I want the dog AFTER Christmas. And of course I explained that we had a dog already, we had no plans to get rid of her, lol. But its like they weren't hearing me.

One of rescues I talked to was really alarmed that my dog had died. I explained that it was a shock and she kept asking about the medical care the dog had received. I said over and over again that we were shocked because everything had been fine at the last check-up. She said we should have been taking our dogs in more often. Our vet has NEVER said our dogs need to come in twice a year for regular check-ups. In fact, my vet always laughed at me for being so over the top in our vet care. You know how new moms call all the time about their kid sniffling? That's how I am with my dogs. Unlike my son, they can't tell me what's wrong and what hurts like my son can so I have to go based on their behavior. If something seemed off, we were going to the vet.

Finally, I was alarmed at the home visits. One of the rescues said they stop by-unannounced for home visits. I think that's a little much. If my references check out and i pass the vet reference, once the dog comes home with me-its MY dog. Its MY home. You don't need to come. Now, I can KIND OF understand visits BEFORE the adoption. Unannounced seems strange but I think it makes more sense than visits AFTER. I don't mind someone coming once if they set up an appointment and want to make sure I don't have any big holes in my yard and even after if they want to come over and see the dog's area...but stopping by unannounced?

I don't know. I feel like they have this ridiculous standard that even i can't meet and I'm a REALLY responsible pet owner. Everyone in my home is fixed, everyone has their own space, my home is clean, we have toys for the dog, cats, we do pretty extensive training to keep them safe and happy...I just felt like they were judging me when I hadn't even done anything wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Replies (31-39):
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM
This is the exact reason we didn't get a rescue when we go our Doberman. They wants $250 and they could take her back any time and for any reason they wanted. Our friend happened to be breeding his Doberman and we got one of his females and we got Sasha for the same price as the rescue. She's our first dog I've had that wasn't a rescue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Maybe I would be okay with all of their rules if they didn't seem to hate me. They're just...so intense. And yeah, the taking them back at any time-I understand saying that if for some reason we have to surrender our dog to do it to them...but them being able to come back at any time? I mean...that's weird.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

This is the exact reason we didn't get a rescue when we go our Doberman. They wants $250 and they could take her back any time and for any reason they wanted. Our friend happened to be breeding his Doberman and we got one of his females and we got Sasha for the same price as the rescue. She's our first dog I've had that wasn't a rescue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sununner36
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I have worked with rescues. So know a bit about why and what they are asking.

1. Tell them you want the dog fixed before you ever get to take him/her home.

2. You really are willing to wait until after the first of the year for the dog.

3. Have the letter from the apartment company that you may adopt a dog and weight limit.

4. On the application there should be a place to explain how you lost a pet. (animals have strokes, heart attacks, cancer, thyroid etc. same as we do)

5. Most applications want to know what animals you have, age and fixed.

6. Use one of your references as your VET.

7. visits before are understandable,  visits after are usually 1 and they are announced. MOST rescues dont have purebred dogs (remember that), also, if for some reason you can't keep a rescue dog they want him/her back.

From personal experience....check out any rescue with your local BBB and see if there are any complaints with the Agriculture department that regulates dog rescues.

Suggestion is to also bring your dog to meet the potential new doggie to make sure they get along.

Every Second of Every Day is a New Beginningpuppy

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I'm totally fine with all that-the problem is their attitude.

I was just contacting these places to learn a little bit about them-BECAUSE I'm a responsible pet owner.

Quoting sununner36:

I have worked with rescues. So know a bit about why and what they are asking.

1. Tell them you want the dog fixed before you ever get to take him/her home.

2. You really are willing to wait until after the first of the year for the dog.

3. Have the letter from the apartment company that you may adopt a dog and weight limit.

4. On the application there should be a place to explain how you lost a pet. (animals have strokes, heart attacks, cancer, thyroid etc. same as we do)

5. Most applications want to know what animals you have, age and fixed.

6. Use one of your references as your VET.

7. visits before are understandable,  visits after are usually 1 and they are announced. MOST rescues dont have purebred dogs (remember that), also, if for some reason you can't keep a rescue dog they want him/her back.

From personal experience....check out any rescue with your local BBB and see if there are any complaints with the Agriculture department that regulates dog rescues.

Suggestion is to also bring your dog to meet the potential new doggie to make sure they get along.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Another option might be to get an older dog from a breeder.  It might be harder to find what you're looking for but that's what we ended up doing.  We got two dogs from a breeder that were "retired" breeding females.  They are pretty good dogs and the kids love them to death. 

The breeders did a little interview with us.  One of the dogs had been given to someone else who turned around sold her to another person about month later and that person lost her and someone else found her and was trying to sell her on craigslist.  The breeders recognized her from her unique markings and got her from the guy.  They were afraid she would end up being bought to be used for dog fights.  We had to promise the breeders that if we decided we didn't want the dogs that we would take the dogs back to them and not put them on craigslist.

We had looked into getting a dog from the pound but the fee was $500.  These breeders had a fee of $75 for the two dogs to go together and they were spayed and current on shots and everything.  So look around, you never know.  Good luck with your doggy search and adoption!!

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM
we looked into that. there are a few breeders around here that may be retiring dogs soon. its funny because the rescues are trying to make the breeders out out to be these bad people, but the breeders are the ones answering my questions. the rescues are the ones acting like i'm some animal hoarder that's just looking for a cheap dog.

Quoting Anonymous:

Another option might be to get an older dog from a breeder.  It might be harder to find what you're looking for but that's what we ended up doing.  We got two dogs from a breeder that were "retired" breeding females.  They are pretty good dogs and the kids love them to death. 

The breeders did a little interview with us.  One of the dogs had been given to someone else who turned around sold her to another person about month later and that person lost her and someone else found her and was trying to sell her on craigslist.  The breeders recognized her from her unique markings and got her from the guy.  They were afraid she would end up being bought to be used for dog fights.  We had to promise the breeders that if we decided we didn't want the dogs that we would take the dogs back to them and not put them on craigslist.

We had looked into getting a dog from the pound but the fee was $500.  These breeders had a fee of $75 for the two dogs to go together and they were spayed and current on shots and everything.  So look around, you never know.  Good luck with your doggy search and adoption!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
julainepw
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Yeah when I adopted cats it was like that. They never came to my house or ever called for that matter. If they accept your application I think it's unlikely they will ever stop by.
It they do, you can always just hide from the crazy dog people. Lol jk.
happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Honestly, I have adopted children, and some of the questions on the shelter's adoption application seemed more invasive.  I ended up buying a puppy from a breeder and then got a kitten on Craigslist.  It's ridiculous.

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM
We're looking at breeders too. I was just thinking it would be so nice to rescue. But we donate supplies to a rescue around here so I guess that'll have to be our good deed for our animal friends. Even the animal shelter that we donate too seemed a little over the top lol.

Quoting happykitty316:

Honestly, I have adopted children, and some of the questions on the shelter's adoption application seemed more invasive.  I ended up buying a puppy from a breeder and then got a kitten on Craigslist.  It's ridiculous.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN