Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HELP! Where can I get discount clothes and car seats?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I recently left home in Idaho abruptly with my four kids and moved to Washington state. Because we had to leave so quickly, each kid got one backpack of clothes. My ex had the car which had all of the car seats in it, so I had to put my two little ones in my older boys' old car seats from 6 and 8 years ago. Now that we're all settled in, we basically need to get all new stuff. I have a decent amount of savings, but no job yet so I'm not going to go out and spend $200 a piece for four new car seats. The thing is I'm having trouble finding any clothes and seats that won't break the bank.

Do any of you know of any sites or stores that have cheap kids clothes and car seats? I have used Craigslist for a lot of our new stuff, but I don't know how comfortable I am buying used car seats and they don't seem to have many kids clothes listed in my area either.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Check with the local WIC office too. They will help you out with carseats, or at least point you in the right direction.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you so much! I didn't know about the fire departments and car seats. Hopefully they won't think I'm mooching or anything because I have an almost brand new car. (That I got before we left of course.)

Quoting Anonymous:

Contact you local fire department and health departments.  I have been able to get clients free carseats through them before.  Also for clothing look into clothing banks; alot of the food banks and churches  have a supply of clothing for kids and adults all you have to do is let them know you are in need.  

childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Check Walmart or Target for carseats and clothing. Do you have a Once Upon a Child there? You could check there as well for clothing. 

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Walmart you can get them Brand New there.  I would never buy a used one though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM
You can get cheap car seats from Walmart or Target. I googled consignment shops:

http://m.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Consignment+Shops&find_loc=Bellingham%2C+WA

You can also call 211 to find the resources your area offers.
whoodathunk
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Try thrift shops or contact your local goodwill and ask them for references as to where to go.

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Could you try a woman's shelter, or a church?

They should be able to help, or tell you where to get help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Thanks! I checked out the website. I think that will be the place I go if I can't find anything cheaper.

Quoting proudmommy690:

Walmart has $40 car seats that will work for the two little ones, and I think some cheaper ones for the other two. Good luck!!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-MyRide-65-Convertible-Car-Seat-Cuddle/15642055 (2 month old and 19 month)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat-Hot-Rod/16939672 (8 year old)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Baby-Highback-Turbo-Booster/22846275 (6 year old)

Total for all four is $335.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm in the Bellingham area. I have two girls who are 2 months and 19 months, and I have two boys who are 6 and 8. I really don't want to resort to getting used car seats, but it's hard to find them for a low cost. I'll definitely look into consignment shops.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Where in WA are you? Look for consignment shops for used clothes. How old are your kids? Car-seat don't have to be expensive but you really should never get a used seat.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

FortWorthMomma
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Do yall have a GoodWill or Salvation Army there? Check for local churches or charities for woman and kids. Good luck..
thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Its best to only use a seat that you know the complete history of. With a consignment or thrift shop this just isn't possible. How old are your kids and how much do they weigh? I am a tech and I can suggest good low cost seats.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)