Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HELP! Where can I get discount clothes and car seats?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I recently left home in Idaho abruptly with my four kids and moved to Washington state. Because we had to leave so quickly, each kid got one backpack of clothes. My ex had the car which had all of the car seats in it, so I had to put my two little ones in my older boys' old car seats from 6 and 8 years ago. Now that we're all settled in, we basically need to get all new stuff. I have a decent amount of savings, but no job yet so I'm not going to go out and spend $200 a piece for four new car seats. The thing is I'm having trouble finding any clothes and seats that won't break the bank.

Do any of you know of any sites or stores that have cheap kids clothes and car seats? I have used Craigslist for a lot of our new stuff, but I don't know how comfortable I am buying used car seats and they don't seem to have many kids clothes listed in my area either.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM
They have some ok ones for about $150. We got one of our 3 in 1's at Costco for about $150 and it got a pretty good rating from the NTSB (like in the 90's). The cheap ones from walmart are in the 60's.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's what I thought. I am not expecting to find anything for free, but I don't have enough assets to pay $200 a piece for new car seats.

Quoting Anonymous:

The free ones (at least here) you need to show financial need. So if you have assets like a new car and a nice savings you won't be able to get.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Of course the safety of my children is always my first concern. That's the reason why I left in the first place! I'm just saying that I cannot afford a seat over $80, and there are seats out there in that budget that I can buy new. I am by no means going to buy a used or expired car seat. I would rather buy a seat that is safe but may not last as long and be able to afford groceries. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow and safety of your children isn't your main concern. I would never put my children in expired seats or buy cheap seats nor would I put a price on safety.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am definitely looking into getting the second one, maybe two. I definitely cannot afford any seat over $80 though.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-MyRide-65-Convertible-Car-Seat-Cuddle/15642055 (2 month old and 19 month)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat-Hot-Rod/16939672 (8 year old)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Baby-Highback-Turbo-Booster/22846275 (6 year old)

Total for all four is $335.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm in the Bellingham area. I have two girls who are 2 months and 19 months, and I have two boys who are 6 and 8. I really don't want to resort to getting used car seats, but it's hard to find them for a low cost. I'll definitely look into consignment shops.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Where in WA are you? Look for consignment shops for used clothes. How old are your kids? Car-seat don't have to be expensive but you really should never get a used seat.

cshepard
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Our health dept will, or at least used too, give car seats for lil $10-15. You just had to watch a video on car seat safety. Check local health depts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM

The seats you transported them in from Idaho were expired.

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course the safety of my children is always my first concern. That's the reason why I left in the first place! I'm just saying that I cannot afford a seat over $80, and there are seats out there in that budget that I can buy new. I am by no means going to buy a used or expired car seat. I would rather buy a seat that is safe but may not last as long and be able to afford groceries. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow and safety of your children isn't your main concern. I would never put my children in expired seats or buy cheap seats nor would I put a price on safety.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am definitely looking into getting the second one, maybe two. I definitely cannot afford any seat over $80 though.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-MyRide-65-Convertible-Car-Seat-Cuddle/15642055 (2 month old and 19 month)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat-Hot-Rod/16939672 (8 year old)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Baby-Highback-Turbo-Booster/22846275 (6 year old)

Total for all four is $335.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm in the Bellingham area. I have two girls who are 2 months and 19 months, and I have two boys who are 6 and 8. I really don't want to resort to getting used car seats, but it's hard to find them for a low cost. I'll definitely look into consignment shops.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Where in WA are you? Look for consignment shops for used clothes. How old are your kids? Car-seat don't have to be expensive but you really should never get a used seat.

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Walmart has good prices on car seats

Good luck momma :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

momof3ak
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Vale u village or Savers? Big lots?
momof3ak
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Contact the local firehouse also, the may have a safe kids program or the number for them
KristiS11384
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Check your local fire department. Many have programs which give carseats to families in need for discounted prices or free AND they will install them for you. 

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM
You can get seats as cheap as $40 at Walmart...I know $80 seems like a lot right now though...Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Look up kids consignment shops in your area.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)