Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HELP! Where can I get discount clothes and car seats?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I recently left home in Idaho abruptly with my four kids and moved to Washington state. Because we had to leave so quickly, each kid got one backpack of clothes. My ex had the car which had all of the car seats in it, so I had to put my two little ones in my older boys' old car seats from 6 and 8 years ago. Now that we're all settled in, we basically need to get all new stuff. I have a decent amount of savings, but no job yet so I'm not going to go out and spend $200 a piece for four new car seats. The thing is I'm having trouble finding any clothes and seats that won't break the bank.

Do any of you know of any sites or stores that have cheap kids clothes and car seats? I have used Craigslist for a lot of our new stuff, but I don't know how comfortable I am buying used car seats and they don't seem to have many kids clothes listed in my area either.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Replies (71-79):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Salvation. Army
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Guide 65 for your two youngest evenflo amps for your older kids. All at walmart
JocelynsMama1
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM

200 a peice so 800 on car seats or 200 all together...and how old are each of your kids and their weight

MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I'm sure this is the hardest part, and it will all get better forward. :)

Check out the Harmony brand boosters. They are low cost but safe as well. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you for your kind words. Getting up and leaving was certainly not easy but it was what we needed to do.

I ended up getting two Cosco convertible seats from Walmart for around $90 and I will look into boosters tomorrow most likely.

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Ok, just saw the answer. :)

The two older kids would be fine in boosters (about $20 for a no back and $40 for a high back booster), and the little ones can go into rear facing convertibles for under $50 each.

Walmart is a good spot for brand new, and at low cost.

Btw, OP, I commend you for leaving a situation for a better one, and your obvious value you place on making sure the kids are safe.

I hope you find a new, better start with your children. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Last night I bought two Cosco Scenera seats for my youngest two who are 2 months and 11lbs and 19 months and 24lbs. My older boys are 6 years old and 45lbs and 8 years old and 55lbs. I will probably be buying them boosters today but I haven't decided on which ones.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

200 a peice so 800 on car seats or 200 all together...and how old are each of your kids and their weight

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Once Upon a Child

Tree-Tree
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
2 Cosco sceneras and 2 turbo boosters would work and would cost less than 200$ for all 4 seats.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Oops, didnt see this until now! I ended up buying two Cosco scenera convertible seats for the little ones, and both of them are rear facing. When the older kids were in their seats that I no longer have, they were taller than the seat of the car. I am still not 100% sure on which boosters to get them and if I should get low back or high back.

Quoting thePBandJmom:

Ok so I have a few questions. Do you want the baby in an infant seat or a convertable? Convertables are cheaper and they will last you longer but they aren't as convenient because you can't carry baby around in one. Do you have your 19 month old rear facing or forward? Can you measure her torso for me? Sit her up against a wall and make sure her back and bottom are flat against the wall and draw a line on the wall where her shoulder is. Then have her move and measure up to the line. How tall are the seats in your vehicle? When your older kid's sit in boosters do they have head support behind their heads or are they taller than the seat of your car?

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. I am looking to buy the car seats new, but for a good price. 

2 month old girl - 11lbs

19 month old girl - 24lbs

6 year old boy - 45lbs

8 year old boy - 55lbs

Quoting thePBandJmom:

Its best to only use a seat that you know the complete history of. With a consignment or thrift shop this just isn't possible. How old are your kids and how much do they weigh? I am a tech and I can suggest good low cost seats.

thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

The Scenera is a great seat for a low cost and I like it a lot. When kid's sit in a booster they need head support of some kind behind them. Think of the whiplash you would get if you were in a wreck when your head and neck extended above the vehicle seat! In these situations kids need high back boosters regardless of their weight and age. If you google booster seat rating 2012 you can find a website that tells which booster seats fit kid's well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oops, didnt see this until now! I ended up buying two Cosco scenera convertible seats for the little ones, and both of them are rear facing. When the older kids were in their seats that I no longer have, they were taller than the seat of the car. I am still not 100% sure on which boosters to get them and if I should get low back or high back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)