Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

From SAHM to work

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM
  • 23 Replies
My husbands hours have been cut right back and he's lost the motivation to find either a second job or a completely different job. I thought about looking for 1 myself but he keeps saying that I'm too fat and slow to get 1.
My question is, how difficult is it for a SAHM to get back into the workforce with no tertiary education and being out of the workforce for 7 years? What work should I be looking for?
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I am in the same situation and I'd like to see my options as well. BUMP for some insight.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

shrugs every community is different and depends what you are looking for. I will say this much though, moms that do intensive volunteering may use volunteer jobs as references and job positions. They generally have a better shot getting a job.

Childofares
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

All you need is one with a paycheck. Once you have one, you can then aim higher after getting yourself out there so to speak. 

Hollybriann
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Wow what a nice husband 😬
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Wow, your husband sounds so supportive.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Well the job market is tough for those with work experience, so it may not be easy. It wouldn't hurt to apply for retail, fast food, etc though. Unless you have a degree in something, apply for your experienced field. Try it.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Your husband says you are fat? You have bigger problems then getting a job right now, hun.

Mommy_Jenx3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My slow, fat ass would be slugging dh...them finding my job. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Too fat and slow? Do not listen to those awful words!!!!

What did you do before you became a SAHM? Could you go back into that field?

I would google "resumes for moms returning to work". I'm sure there a ton of resources on the internet that could help you! Good luck!

foltzy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I volunteered in a Head Start classroom for 2 years before I started working for them. I just graduated with my associates degree in May. I'll be there 3 years September.
The volunteer experience I had was a huge part in me getting the job. I was a stay at home mom for 5 years before that and only had retail experience before I had my first.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)