Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you give your child a present they weren't allowed to play with?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM
  • 280 Replies
2 moms liked this
When I was about 6 for Christmas my grandmother decided to start a collectible Barbie collection for me starting with the wedding Barbie that came out that year.

I didn't know she was doing that, I opened the present Christmas Day and there was this magnificent Barbie that I just wanted to play with but my mother informed me it was to stay in the box and be saved for when I was a grown up and then I could sell it for a lot of money.

Of course telling that to a 6 year old is just pure torture. Here honey here's a Barbie but you can't touch it. Ever.

My mother left it under the tree and a week later I just couldn't stand it so while she was distracted I opened that Barbie and punched out all the cardboard cut outs and had myself a grand old time playing with my new wedding Barbie.

She went ballistic when she realized what I had done and tried her best to put it back together and when she couldn't she threw everything away.

Would you ever give your child a Christmas or birthday present they couldn't open? I've thought many times about that incident and I will never give my child a present they can't open, to me it just seems so cruel.

-------
For the hell of it I just looked up the Barbie. It was the wedding fantasy Barbie that came out in 89 and that damn thing is selling for 30 bucks on amazon. I ended up with bruises because i dared to open a toy that 24 years later is still only worth 30 bucks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Maybe,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I don't get that. No, I'd never do that.

yayay15
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM
No. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Yeah, seems kind of dumb.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM
12 moms liked this
Not unless you plan on getting them two, one to play with and one to save.
Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Only if they are old enough to understand the concept. I have a collection of limited edition beanie babies and Barbies; I started getting them when I was 10 and was told the reason why I shouldn't play with them. But I also grew up in a household of collectible sports memorabilia; some first edition books so I understood the idea of collectors items. And I also always got other toys to play with tha were more appealing.

I think it's ridiculous that your mom would throw everything away though :(
tresproudmommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't do that.  My SIL wanted to start that tradition for my DD and I told her she will not torture my child in that way.  If you want to have collectible items....you buy them and keep them until she's older.  How cruel is it to give a child a toy they can't play with?!?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM
When I was 8, my dads best friend gave me a blowdart and paintball gun. My parents immediately took it away. I was devastated and really wanted to play with it. I found it the next day and paintballed our brand new car. Oops... It was thrown away after that.

That was my only experience with getting a toy I couldn't play with lol
LivysMama
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM
4 moms liked this

Nah, I don't believe in giving collectibles unless it's something the kid wants to collect. Otherwise it's just more crap laying around. Also, it was bitchy to throw away your doll! Lol

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM
5 moms liked this

well the inlaws used to buy my oldest these fancy dolls from other countries (they travel a lot) and hell what the hell I let her play with them.... Sure they got destroyed but damn we only live this life once.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN