Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need Advice!!! Please read and help :) *EDIT*

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:23 AM
  • 37 Replies

Eric is 8 and is very special needs.  He is non verbal mostly,  breathing issues, muscle weakness, and a host of other stuff.    The thing is that he has a stuffed Elmo that he LOVES,  his WORLD revolves around this elmo....  he sleeps cuddling elmo everynight and ALL night.   ALL NIGHT he never lets elmo go.   He has had this elmo since he was 6 months old.   well after nearly 8 years of FULL ON LOVE poor elmo is really really really falling apart.   the material is so thin that in places it is just gone.   I have sewn and patched as much as I can.   This elmo really really needs to be washed but I dont think it would survive.   I have another Elmo, exactly the same.  But he wont have anything to do with it.    Not even in his sleep can I exchange elmos!!!  I kid you not!!!   he KNOWS!!     But I now dont know what to do as this elmo is really falling apart and really beyond fixing.    How do I do this???   I DONT want to take his elmo away but there is coming a day when I may have to.    How can I get him to except the new elmo??  any advice on this issue would be great.   

Edit**

I just want to say a huge thank you to you ladies!!!!   I am considering all options,  I will keep trying with the "new"  elmo every chance I get and make an effort to include him so Eric gets used to him.   I am also wondering about maybe sewing some new clothes on the old one to cover the old material.    But thank you so much :)

This is how he sleeps at night.  Elmos legs HAVE to go between his legs,  it is really cute :)

I cant turn it, but this is about 2 years ago, wearing thin here

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Could you put a little wear and tear on the new Elmo? Put him through the wash a few times...

Maybe try again switching them at night? He wakes up and tell him Elmo was sick but feeling better now (or something)
tlcory
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Don't remove old Elmo yet just add new Elmo, so he's sleeping with 2 Elmo's and maybe he will start attaching himself to the new one without realizing it.

livric
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:31 AM

yeah maybe,  i tried tonight lol,  Im like no no its ok, I fixed elmo up, he is all fixed up!  NOPE! that elmo was thrown in the corner and he stomped out of bed and got his "real" elmo  lol it was actually really funny,  but I do dispare "sigh"  

Quoting Anonymous:

Could you put a little wear and tear on the new Elmo? Put him through the wash a few times...

Maybe try again switching them at night? He wakes up and tell him Elmo was sick but feeling better now (or something)

livric
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM

He wont have the new elmo anywhere near him!! :/  This is what I first tried to do!!   I even tried the oh look you have TWINS!!  nope...   

Quoting tlcory:

Don't remove old Elmo yet just add new Elmo, so he's sleeping with 2 Elmo's and maybe he will start attaching himself to the new one without realizing it.

livric
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:42 AM

very very tricky :/

krissy920
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:50 AM

my DD is the same way shes got a bunny and  i  got  an  exact duplicate of it very early on  but she knew the difference. While  one bunny is only  a year older then the other.. the old one is loved and worn where the newer one looks like it did the day it came out of the box. There is no replacing my daughters bunny.. they have a smell , a touch, and  lord know s what else and our kids just  know. Your best bet is to wash elmo is a pillowcase ( zip up) and hope it lasts as long as possible.

tlcory
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Oh wow, the only other thing I can think of is my dd always had a blankie, I would just let her carry it and sleep with it until it literally was just pieces left (after washings and all), then she would attach to a new one. We went through several blankies through the years.  

Quoting livric:

He wont have the new elmo anywhere near him!! :/  This is what I first tried to do!!   I even tried the oh look you have TWINS!!  nope...   

Quoting tlcory:

livric
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:52 AM

thanks for the pillowcase tip!  :) duh I so should have thought of that myself!!!   

Quoting krissy920:

my DD is the same way shes got a bunny and  i  got  an  exact duplicate of it very early on  but she knew the difference. While  one bunny is only  a year older then the other.. the old one is loved and worn where the newer one looks like it did the day it came out of the box. There is no replacing my daughters bunny.. they have a smell , a touch, and  lord know s what else and our kids just  know. Your best bet is to wash elmo is a pillowcase ( zip up) and hope it lasts as long as possible.

livric
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:54 AM

thanks for your adivce :)     I might keep trying to place the new elmo in the bed while he is asleep and just keep at it,   I really dont know what else to do.....  They are best friends, Eric even sits elmo up at the table to have breakfast!!   they are just so sweet together!!!   i am actually really upset about it. 

Quoting tlcory:

Oh wow, the only other thing I can think of is my dd always had a blankie, I would just let her carry it and sleep with it until it literally was just pieces left (after washings and all), then she would attach to a new one. We went through several blankies through the years.  

Quoting livric:

Quoting tlcory:

summerlove3677
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I was this way when i was young with a baby doll. only her head was plastic, her body was fabric and it got to the point that it was just straight nasty. so my grandma said she was going to give it surgery.  she took the head off the body then took the head off another baby dolls body.  she attacted my dolls head onto the new body.  could you do that with elmo?  take the old elmo head and put it on the new elmos body? ( if you can sew or know someone who can) tell your son he had surgery to fix his old body

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)