Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My child won't have...

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM
  • 36 Replies

This topic came to my mind when I was discussing childhood memories with my best friend. Tell me some of the experiences or memories your child will miss out on because you just don't do those things for whatever reason.

I'll start!

My son won't have the memory of the special dish his mom makes because I suck major ass at cooking and live by the principle of "if it takes more than 15 minutes to make, leaves more than one dirty bowl and/or is more complicated than mixing a couple ingredients together, chances are I can find something easier that will satisfy my hunger all the same, therefore it's just not worth the effort".

Another thing that is missing from his memory book is me teaching him to swim. I'm quite sure I knew how to swim once upon a lifetime, but that was many years and an almost-drowning ago. Now just don't go into water that's deeper than my knees, so he learned to swim in swimming school.

Tell me yours!

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csxt99
by Jennifer on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Feeling the wind in their faces as they ride in the bed of a truck is the first thing that came to my mind.

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Lol! Why if I may ask?

Quoting csxt99:

Feeling the wind in their faces as they ride in the bed of a truck is the first thing that came to my mind.

csxt99
by Jennifer on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:49 AM

It's been illegal in my state for around two decades now.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Lol! Why if I may ask?

Quoting csxt99:

ThreeReasons123
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Yearly week long vacations in the cape.
Mainly because my dad was REALLY good with money and both my parents worked for most of my childhood. We just don't have the ability to save that kind of money, yet!

Although I do make sure they have a lot of the other things that made my childhood a happy one :)
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:53 AM
This and they never got to wait for the ice cream man, (none came by us), ice skating on a frozen lake, real Italian ices, growing up with a bajillion cousins in the neighborhood(we moved out of Brooklyn when I was a teenager).

Quoting csxt99:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shygurl3166
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:54 AM
The ability to be kids without supervision.people in today's world are psychotic... either cps trigger happy or legitimately crazy... so sadly my kids will never have the memory of playing down the road alone or even in the back yard. Lol people are nuts.

I was a 90s kid... my entire childhood is off limits to kids now. Lol
GleekingOut
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

(at least until we move again) spending the entire day out of the house, at the park, at different people's houses, at pools, WITHOUT CELL PHONES! As a child I got kicked out of the house at 8am with a sandwich and togs and told not to be back until the streetlights were on - there were none of these daycares for up to 12's none of these summer camps. Nothing. we had to have our own free entertainment -and guess what? we never got up to TOO much trouble. My daughter had the same sorts of freedom - she had to check in to go to a pool because she had disabilities and I needed to make sure a competent swimmer/adult was around before she could go in, and she went to 2 daycares over the years -but that was because as a only child with not many friends (her own age - most of her friends have always been at least 3/4 years younger than her) I took every social opportunity I could with her. My younger kids will not get that freedom because currently all their friends live about 3 suburbs away and you can't get there via walking/biking. They can't go to the local park alone because it's a hang out for drugs and sex by local teens and there is a dangerously psychotic child that lives around the area that takes great pleasure in disturbing my son. So yeah - at 10, 8 and 8 they don't have much freedom at all.

MammaPaparazza
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Yep this for me too-
I would spend the entire day at the crick catching frogs and turtles just me my brother and my friends. Ill never let my kids out ify sight for that long because of all the creeps out there

Quoting shygurl3166:

The ability to be kids without supervision.people in today's world are psychotic... either cps trigger happy or legitimately crazy... so sadly my kids will never have the memory of playing down the road alone or even in the back yard. Lol people are nuts.

I was a 90s kid... my entire childhood is off limits to kids now. Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM
The beauty of living WITHOUT all the technology we have today...
Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Who knows, maybe you'll find a way to turn the things away for your family and make that Cape vacation happen. BTW, I love Cape!

Quoting ThreeReasons123:

Yearly week long vacations in the cape.
Mainly because my dad was REALLY good with money and both my parents worked for most of my childhood. We just don't have the ability to save that kind of money, yet!

Although I do make sure they have a lot of the other things that made my childhood a happy one :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN