Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just left the ER but I think the doctor is wrong!!

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM
  • 28 Replies
DD(1)was crying in the car yesterday. I was assuming she was just tired so get home and go to get her out when I notice she's bleeding out of her ear!!! So I put the kids back in the car and go to the ER. I told the doctor that on Thursday she had a lot a wax so I used a baby q-tip(the big fat ones) with some baby oil and cleaned her ear. Well he looks in her ear and starts freaking out that there's a piece of cotton in her ear. He has a nurse come in and holds my baby down and looks again. Then says "O I guess not, you must of just scratched her canal when you cleaned her ears"

So how could I scratch her canal with a qtip that can't even get in her ear AND if I did this when I cleaned her ears 4 days ago why is it just now bleeding? He was SO SURE he saw something then just changed his mind. I don't know why it would bleed but I kind of think she has a price on smash cake in her ear from her birthday party on Saturday.

I need to get her in to the pedi ASAP
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Oh no! That sounds awful! I hope the pedi gets her in quick this morning. 

shygurl3166
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM
I would say ear infection.. and what a shitty doc.
2Sparrows4ever
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Doctors don't always know what the hell they're talking about, hope her normal pediatrician figures it out
destiny3513
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
You shouldn't ever use q tips...not even baby ones. My son gets big wax balls in his ear if he's congested they eventually roll out naturally. I'd go to the pedi jic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

based on your years of medical school or just because they didnt say what you wanted to hear?

missmamaof4
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM

did he check for an infection?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM
It sounds like she had an ear infection and the ear drum burst. She should feel much better with the pressure relieved but may need an antibiotic.

When you go to the ER for normal childhood issues, you will not get the appropriate answers. They are there to look for emergency situations, not normal illnesses. They are less experienced with those ans will miss them. Take her to the pediatrician.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM

We don't do cotton buds - we either use tissues and our fingers - or for DD she uses a special wax loosing liquid that she puts cotton BALLS in her ears over night and takes them out in the morning -she gets frequent ear infections however - 15 in the last 18 months and the doctors refuse to do anything about it because she's an adult and she's aleady had gromitts once.

Wickedawesome88
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM
I actually do have a degree in medical science. No I'm not a doctor but I think his reasoning was nuts

Quoting Anonymous:

based on your years of medical school or just because they didnt say what you wanted to hear?

Wickedawesome88
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I saw blood coming out of my baby's ear.... That didn't seem like a normal illness to me

Quoting Anonymous:

It sounds like she had an ear infection and the ear drum burst. She should feel much better with the pressure relieved but may need an antibiotic.

When you go to the ER for normal childhood issues, you will not get the appropriate answers. They are there to look for emergency situations, not normal illnesses. They are less experienced with those ans will miss them. Take her to the pediatrician.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)