Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A Scary Lesson Learned! Update with some general answers.....

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 177 Replies
6 moms liked this

My middle daughter is five years old and we just had the scariest weekend of my life with her.  Saturday morning she started acting strange.  She just wanted to sleep, which for her is not something she ever wants to do.  We went to a birthday party and she wanted no part of any of the activities.  When we got home she went to sleep on the couch and woke up an hour later talking about weird things and not recognizing me or even realizing she was home.  Her speech was slurred and she couldn't walk.

My DH and I took her to the ER and they did a ton of tests.  Hours later one came back saying that she had prescription drugs in her system.  We were devastated.  They couldn't pump her stomach because it had been hours since she had to have taken them.  We had to just wait and watch our child's little body fight this out of her system.  Fortunately the pills she took did not counter react to each other and were low enough doses where no lasting effects will be there.  She spent the night at the hospital and came home Sunday night.  

The pills she took were LOCKED up in my room.  She found them by pure bad luck and somehow figured out how to both open the container they were in and get through the safety child lids on the bottles.  All in a matter of what we think was ten minutes or less.  We now have a combination locked safe that all the meds in the house are in.  I am sharing this because I want everyone to take the time to re-look at where your meds are in the home.  We could have lost our little princess.  

Since everyone seems to be asking these same questions I thought I would just answer them here.

She does know better than to take medicine.  We have gone over it a thousand and one times.  I am a foster parent and two of my foster children are on depression meds and one is on an ADHD med.  My oldest is on allergy medicine.  Every day she sees them lining up for their meds and I think she was a jealous 5 year old that wanted to do what everyone else was doing.  When I asked her why she took them she said she didn't know.  

Yes I called CPS on myself.  The hospital DR said he was not going to but it didn't matter.  Being a foster parent I am obligated to tell the department anything that happens in my home in regards to the safety of all the children here.  So yes I called them and they are just going to come out to make sure I am locking them up better.  It was an accident and all you mothers with the holier than though attitude don't throw stones.  Do you stare at your child when they are sleeping and never sleep yourself? Because that is the only way to 100% supervise your child.

The meds she took were my foster childs depression meds.  Not that it mattered what meds she took.  The point of the post was that she took meds not the kinds.  But for those who have to go that extra mile to see what people are on those were them.  Neither my own children nor myself or DH are on anything more than a vitamin and my oldest takes a daily pill for her allergies.  Some people don't agree with vaccines, I don't agree with many medicines. But I have no choice in the foster children I have to give them what the DR's give them.

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow. I am glad she is okay....checking cabinets now!

BridgeEbb
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
3 moms liked this

Thank you.  I wasn't going to share this because I was a bit embarrassed that I thought my kids couldn't and wouldn't do that.  I felt like a bad mom when it happened.  But I feel that if I can save another family from this I have to share what happened.

Quoting IamMex11:

CamoChick
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

oh wow, what a nightmare!  I'm glad she is ok

BridgeEbb
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM

BUMP!

IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM
9 moms liked this

I think you are courageous for sharing. I don't think there was anything you could do to prevent it as a mother I can understand feeling guilty but don't beat yourself up over it.  Thank God you noticed she wasn't herself and sought help! Some people may have waited .....

Quoting BridgeEbb:

Thank you.  I wasn't going to share this because I was a bit embarrassed that I thought my kids couldn't and wouldn't do that.  I felt like a bad mom when it happened.  But I feel that if I can save another family from this I have to share what happened.

Quoting IamMex11:

lili_monkey
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Oh my, how scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Thank you for sharing your story. Glad your daughter is safe. I vow to keep my meds in a combination lock as well. We have a family friend who's 2 yr old took his grandfather's heart medicine on accident. Everyone needs to be aware that just because you keep meds safe- the older generation still keeps them in reachable cabinets. I had to go to my parent's house and lock theirs up- I didn't realize they were within reach of my 3 yr old!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM

How exactly were they locked?  How did she get through the lock?

kjames1990
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM
5 moms liked this

Kids are quick and savy.  We can't underestimate them or ever think we are fully prepared and we can't watch them 24/7.  Don't let anyone on here beat you up.

I'm glad your DD is ok.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM
4 moms liked this

But WHY did she take them? I think that is the most important issue now.

My DD knows where the medication is, but she's never been compelled to take random pills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN