Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Another bug post *sigh* Anyone have any experience with "book lice"?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

I found them crawling all over the top of the fridge...at least that's what I think they are. Itty bitty brown speck-like bugs. I saw them before in the freezer and fridge - non moving - a few days ago but thought they were just bread crumbs, but today I went to poor DS 's cereal and saw some in the bowl right before the cereal hit so I crawl up there and they're all over the friggen thing. Looks like they came out of some oatmeal/grains we had. Ugh.

I obviously cleaned up there. Threw out (and took out of the house) anything that was up there - except two unopened bags of flour - worth $12, still debating about those, but these damn things are in the cracks of the seal on the fridge I think. Yuck. Any advice? I cleaned it up there. Put bay leaves up there. Added some diatomaceous earth (sp?) along the few cracks I can do so with but I still see a few here and there and keep going back up to check and kill the few that are that.

DH just wants to spray and I said NOT in the kitchen. Certainly not on top of and around the cracks of the fridge!!!

Any advice? PLEASE!!!

This has not been my week. I found friggen weevils in some nuts I bought from Trader Joe's earlier this week and had to ditch half the crap in the pantry. The grains were bought from TJs too. Damn them! I'm going to be doing a MAJOR overhaul and putting EVERYTHING in plastic containers now, but how do I get rid of these suckers??

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Pictures would be very helpful.  You're going to have to throw out all open containers of food (like cereal, pancake mix, flour, etc.), do a thorough cleaning with bleach, bomb the kitchen or get an exterminator, and put all the new packaged foods into sealed plastic containers.  We get those horrible little weevils in our flour, pancake mix, pasta, etc. in the pantry.  I finally threw out all the open containers, and switched to sealed plastic containers.  It's definitely helped!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Sounds like mill worms. Any grain or flour I keep in the fridge to cut down on that problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like mill worms. Any grain or flour I keep in the fridge to cut down on that problem.

There's definately no room in our fridge or freezer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN