Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Birth Control in Marriage

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 202 Replies

So I don't want to start a shit storm, but curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Do you use birth control in your marriage?

Do you feel like it is the right thing to do?

How long have you been married, and how long have you been on birth control?

If you are not, is it religion or personal values that prevent you from using it?

I don't use birth control in the sense of drugs, injections or implants. We use planned parenting(counting cycles etc) and it seems to work fine, though I'd never use pharmacutical drugs to do so. Once we are finished having children, DH has agreed to get snipped (reversable of course). It's a personal thing for us, any child is blessing, whenever they may pop into our life, and I feel that to prevent such a thing when we are both loving parents, and capable of caring for children is not the right thing to do, for us.

So I'm just curious where your views lie, do trying to start dram, though it is MC...

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I use birth control but not for the reason that most people do. I have a hormonal imbalance and it helps keep me balanced. My hormones were terribly out of whack and it has really helped me out.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM

We have, yes. In between DD1 and DD2, I was on the pill (also on the pill before we were married and had kids). When we decided to have another baby, I got off the pill. After I had DD2, I was breastfeeding full time and didn't want to use any BC. We just found out we're pregnant with #3 last week (DD2 is 17 months).

When we're done, DH will be getting a vasectomy as our new form of BC.

krystawitt
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM

How long have you been married/having sex?  That method has the highest fail rate of any form of bc because it is NOT birth control.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM
I do. I'm very prone to ovarian cysts, so I actually started taking the pill before I was married, after I had 2 huge cysts removed. I also can't afford another child. I may be a loving parent, but kids require more than love and I'm just not in a position to provide everything another child needs.
If BC fails, it's not the end of the world, though. We would manage.
besosfantasies
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I've used it in and out of my marriage with dh. It IS the right thing to do, if you aren't ready for a baby yet. We've been together for 5 years, married for two. I was on BC for about 2 years.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Before my husband and I got married, I got on birth control. Because of severe non stop bleeding and horrible pain, I got off of it. I didn't try to get on another since the ob dr was a jerk. So my husband and I just use condoms. I am looking to try new birth control by the end of this year/beginning of next because we will be going on a cruise at the end of march and I don't want to be on my period.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Actually when done correctly it can have the same, if not better, success rate than conventional methords. We've been married 5yrs and were having sex prior to that, so been having sex for 6yrs I'd say.

No method is fool proof, and some people are far to fertile to do natural methods. For us it works.

Quoting krystawitt:

How long have you been married/having sex?  That method has the highest fail rate of any form of bc because it is NOT birth control.

Anonandon
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I was put on birth control after my miscarriage and it made me so emotional and crazy that I stopped it and never took it again.  I can't count cycles because mine are all over the place, so my husband is getting snipped and I'll look into a tubal when my baby is a little older.

zacmacsmomm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM

We used birth control, I was on the pill, until we wanted a baby.  Our son was diagnosised with cancer when he was 3 months old, so we had to wait a while to have a second, and natural family planning was not a risk we were willing to take.  A pregnancy during that time would have have been horrible.  I stayed on the pill untill it was time for another child.  I got back on the pill after I had her, again, did NOT want to risk another pregnancy.  When she was 6 months old hub got snipped and a year later I ended up with a hysterectomy.  We've been married for almost 22 years

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM

A lot of the women in my faily use the Depo shot, and it seems to have stopped their periods. I wouldn't use it personally, but have you looked into it?

Quoting 1105:

Before my husband and I got married, I got on birth control. Because of severe non stop bleeding and horrible pain, I got off of it. I didn't try to get on another since the ob dr was a jerk. So my husband and I just use condoms. I am looking to try new birth control by the end of this year/beginning of next because we will be going on a cruise at the end of march and I don't want to be on my period.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)