Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not my problem anymore!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

Well, my mother in law, brother in law, my husband and our 4 children live together in one big nice house, but we have to move since the bank is buying the house. We found a new house in a different town which is maybe just an hour drive. My brother in law is not mentally all there and has the mind of a 5 year old at times. He is on SSI too. So my mother in law takes care of him. He has been dating this girl for 5 years almost and she lives in the same town as us and she stays the night sometimes and don't get me wrong she is like another sister to me. After we told her we might have to move and it might be an hour away, we can try to pick her up because she and my brother in law do not know how to drive and we can pick her up to visit for a week and stuff. She was ok for awhile. But after my brother in law came home with her from the pool, he said she didn't like the idea of being an hour away because it is too far and there will be days she would need to help out her mom because her brothers are in college and her mom works overnight. So now she is trying to convince my brother in law to move out and have them get an apartment together, when they are both not mature enough to even live together. Now I am staying out of it and letting my mother in law deal with this problem. We are moving in together because we will have a new nice house and save alot of money. But this is getting on my nervous that his girlfriend is being like this. I told her she has nothing to be upset about. We have not even got the house yet. We are just looking into it. We have to be out by November 1st and we do not want to wait any longer until October when we do not have a house to live in either. I do not know what to say to her or my brother in law, without making either of them upset. I know they want to grow up and want everyone to support them, but they are not ready to live on their own.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Does your mother have power of attorney over his checks? Or does he do his own banking and stuff. 

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM

She has power of attorney over his checks and she wants to get guardianship over him for medical reasons because he doesn't agree often when it comes to going to the dentist or if he needs a major surgery

Quoting brettsmomma:

Does your mother have power of attorney over his checks? Or does he do his own banking and stuff. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Well if she has power of attorney over his checks I dont think he can move without her approval. Have her call her lawyer and ask. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She has power of attorney over his checks and she wants to get guardianship over him for medical reasons because he doesn't agree often when it comes to going to the dentist or if he needs a major surgery

Quoting brettsmomma:

Photo: -Randi.

MissmeMissme
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Yeah if she has POA she does have to approve. Unless it is state to state b/c where I live that means they make all decisions. 

But, if you are done with this and staying out of it, why are you posting about it? Just to let it all out one final time? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Yeah, I think I will tell her to that. His girlfriend is also talking about moving out with her and says he is old enough to make his own mind when he can't even do that in the first place. She is also on SSI and lives with her mother too

Quoting brettsmomma:

Well if she has power of attorney over his checks I dont think he can move without her approval. Have her call her lawyer and ask. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brettsmomma:

colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:26 AM
no he can't. my dad gets ssi and I handle his banking. I had to give written consent for him to do.anything other than pay bills if it was more than his weekly allowance.

Quoting brettsmomma:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brettsmomma:

katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM
TL;DR
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)