• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Everyone hates our baby names for our twins that will be coming soon.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 145 Replies

I do care but I think my dh and I need to pick names we like and not names other people like.

My twins are both girls and are going to get fairly uncommon names.

'Arya' Is The Fastest-Growing Baby Name Thanks To 'Game Of Thrones'

Aly Weisman May 13, 2013, 6:03 PM 6,476 7
  •  
  • in Share3
  •  Email
  •  More
    Share on Tumblr

Arya Stark Maisie WIlliams Game of Thrones

HBO/"Game of Thrones"

Thanks to a "Game of Thrones" character, the name "Arya" is the fastest-growing name for a baby girl in the U.S.

The name shot up 298 spots in rankings between 2011 and 2012, according to The Social Security Administration's annual update of the most popular names, released today.

"Arya" became popular following the success of HBO's "Game of Thrones," which premiered in - you guessed it - 2011.

"Arya Stark" is the name of the tough-as-nails pre-teen daughter of a northern lord in the hit show, based on the George R. R. Martin novels.

"The name "Arya" made a massive leap from #711 in 2011 during the first season of the show to #413 during its second season in 2012," notes Wired.

"Twilight" had a similar effect in 2011, when the names Isabella and Jacob shot up to the number one baby names after the success of the book-turned-movie franchise.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/arya-is-the-fastest-growing-baby-name-thanks-to-game-of-thrones-2013-5#ixzz2Zw5pKDUO

So Arya, pronounced ARIA, will be the younger of the two twins, whoever is born second. The eldest of the two will be Sansa. Which in the show is the name of the elder of the two sisters.

I have said it before. But right now my parents are sort of frantic. When my mom asked me what names we were NOW considering, I told her

Sansa Violet

Arya Rose

And she flipped. Said she couldn't even say Sansa right, (she hasn't seen game of thrones yet) and tried to tell me if I cannot say it it cannot be the name. Then my dad said, do you care about the babies?! OF COURSE! I said. He tried to tell me it is too different and hard to say and she would never be able to get a job and would live with us forever.

Whoah. Wait, I said Barack is NOT a common name and he has a very important job. At which point my dad said up until 10 years ago Barack Obama went by Barry.

*Slaps forehead hard*. Thought I truly had him there. But these are OUR kids and we should get to be the ones to pick their names.

JUST FOUND THIS ON HISTORNAMIA. SANSA IS A REAL NAME FOR THOSE TRYING TO SAY IT IS MADE UP OR FAKE, ITS NOT.

Sansa

The names Arya and Theon have reportedly taken a rise in the charts with parents taking inspiration from the wonderful 'A Song of Ice and Fire' book series, better known to TV audiences in its adaptation form, 'Game of Thrones'. While both of these names are lovely, the series is actually filled with excellent real-life potential. One of my favourites happens to be the sister of Arya, Sansa.

Sansa Stark as played by Sophie Turner
in 'Game of Thrones'
Sansa (pronounced SAHN-suh) is not a made-up name like I originally thought when I first read the books but instead is of Sanskrit origin and means 'praise, invocation, charm'. The name is also similar to the Latin name Sancia which means 'sacred'. George R.R. Martin drew a lot of inspiration for the names of his characters from history and it could very well be that he was inspired by a member of the infamous Borgia Family, Sancia of Naples, who was married to Gioffre Borgia (Sansa's first love interest in the fantasy series is named Joffrey, an alternative spelling to Gioffre).

I also happen to find Sansa as an alternative to Sarah. While neither Sansa or Sancia has been popular in the charts, Sarah is currently #39 on the US Charts and #36 in Australia and despite the different meanings (Sarah means 'princess' but considering Sansa is a Princess of the North in the book series) I think that Sansa could make a perfectly good tribute to any Sarah namesake. And for anyone who likes the connotations derived from the name Apple, Sansa is a variety of the fruit.

This happens to be one of my top names and I would very willingly use it on any child. It evokes sweetness and like its meaning, it has a ton of charm. With Arya on the rise, I would very much like to see the same happen to this name.
You might also like:

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I found my DD's name Kairi from the game Kingdom Hearts. It is not common at all. Family members gave an odd expression when I mentioned it at first, but they LOVE it today. I get many compliments on how unique it is.

Anonandon
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM
5 moms liked this

Those aren't going to remain uncommon names. 

Hi_Rae
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:06 AM
2 moms liked this
Your kids, name them what you want and screw what anyone else thinks
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Your poor children, that's all I can think =/
Nika87
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM
How is Sansa pronounced? I like Arya
ittyprincess604
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Idk I don't think they're too bad.

Your kids, your choice!
ballerina18
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I LOVE Game of Thrones!

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Quoting Sassy762:

I am a friend, a wife,a daughter but the best title I have by far is Mother .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM

San-Suh.

Quoting Nika87:

How is Sansa pronounced? I like Arya

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)