• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This place is making me miserable

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I live in west Texas, no offense to those in the area that love it, but I HATE this place. Its so hot, there is NOTHING to do unless you have money. Its all dirt. I busted my ass in school and there are no jobs in the area (which is actually unusual for my profession but). DH is in the military and has missed out on so many great opportunities because we have to be here. There is nothing for the kids to do. Schools are shitty. We have some of the highest teen pregnancy rates and std rates in the nation because there is so little to do. This area is good if you have money and can occasionally get out. I grew up in Michigan. I had trees to climb, lakes to swim in, horses to ride. There was ALWAYS something to do. In fact, my grandmother (who I lived with) has a creek in her back yard and is literally across the street from a national forrest. Its not just the environment, but lets face it, the environment can better the economy, schools, entertainment, and so on. Ok so leave right? Wrong. I am on geographical restrictions with my ex. I am restricted to this god forsaken county! This dumbass ex doesn't even have a GED but yet my husband and I busted our asses in the military and in school and can not reap the benefits because we cant fucking leave. We cant even raise OUR children the way we feel is best because oh dumbass. Its not right. I have tried twice to get him to agree to let me leave. Even offered to drop child support (we wouldn't need it) agreed to pay all costs for visitation and everything. Nope. He wants to keep that control. It has nothing to do with seeing the kids, he wants that control. He even admits that there is nothing here for the kids until they get older and he himself never left the area as a child and HATED it. We had always planned on leaving the first chance when we were together. And its not like I would even stay gone forever. The kids would probably be here more then required because my dad (my best friend and backbone) is still here. Its not fair to the kids, my husband, or myself. Cant find a good job so no shit I cant afford a lawyer but when ive consulted with them in the past (and the JAG lawyers) they say the order would stand unless he moves or stops seeing them. Its just not right we are stuck here. I am so sick of this place. I don't know how to make myself happy anymore about being stuck here.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MissmeMissme
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM

If you do not have a job how do you know you won't need the child support?

Redwoods_Mama
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Oh honey.  I *hated* Texas.  Unless you live in Austin or San Anton, you are SOL.

I am so sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Well for one, there is a higher need for my profession in larger areas. I have no doubt I could get a job. If not, DH being active military and myself working a piss on job would be more than enough. AND, this area pays 30% less for my profession. Very bottom of the national average. Even a crap job in my profession somewhere else is good money. Id figure it out, without his money, just to get out of this place, regardless of the circumstances. DH just got a job offer through the military in California for one year. THEY found me a sponsor in my field (licensing issues, couldn't just walk in and apply) just to try to sweeten the deal. Hence the JAG involvement.
Quoting MissmeMissme:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Yup... If we could leave, id prefer to stay in Texas or New Mexico because my dad is here but at the very least to a bigger area. I love it there, but id never go back to Michigan (to close to my "mother"). It just urks me to the core that I can not raise the child that has nothing to do with him, the way we want, because of him. And to sit here and think he has done NOTHING with his life and I have but cant fulfill my potential because of him. Just having something to do and exposure to more alone would be good for the kids. Thats not even bringing in how good it would be for them if we had better job opportunities, thats a given. He doesnt deserve that control. Seriously, I cry everyday and a huge reason is because of being here. Its depressing. Our lives would be so much better if we could just get somewhere we could find good jobs and do something.
Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

Oh honey.  I *hated* Texas.  Unless you live in Austin or San Anton, you are SOL.

I am so sorry.

Anonandon
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Are you in El Paso? That's where we've been since 2008 and it's definitely not our thing either. We both grew up around trees and water and this place has neither.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Michigan forever!!!! I left for a year to New Mexico, same complaints. Everyday was awful, I'm sorry you're stuck. If you can get a job offer in Michigan that will go a long way in court.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I tried Texas. 2 months and I was begging churches for a bus ticket to anywhere else lol

MissmeMissme
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Well good luck. I have family in Austin and they love it. I hear that is one of the only good places to live in Texas. My cousin told me job market is good for her there, she is in marketing. Plus she says it is much cheaper to live than back home in IL. 

I hope you figure things out. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Well for one, there is a higher need for my profession in larger areas. I have no doubt I could get a job. If not, DH being active military and myself working a piss on job would be more than enough. AND, this area pays 30% less for my profession. Very bottom of the national average. Even a crap job in my profession somewhere else is good money. Id figure it out, without his money, just to get out of this place, regardless of the circumstances. DH just got a job offer through the military in California for one year. THEY found me a sponsor in my field (licensing issues, couldn't just walk in and apply) just to try to sweeten the deal. Hence the JAG involvement.
Quoting MissmeMissme:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)