Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 10 year old befriended a 17 year old

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I'm probably going to get crap for this but ohh well.

I went swimming with my daughter today and she met a girl at the pool. By looks I thought maybe she was 12 or so. When we got back to our apartment, she got dressed and went to the basketball court to play. A bit later she came back with the girl she was playing with at the pool. They wanted me to meet her mom and chat with her so she could go in her house and play video games.

On the way to their apartment, I asked the girl how old she was and she said seventeen! I was shocked. I asked her why she's been hanging out with the younger girls and she said its because her mom told her to make friends and that the ones her age are mean to her and pick on her and that ones my daughter's age are the only ones that will be friends with her. I don't know how to say this without offending anyone and pleasw forgive me if I do but this girl doesn't seem very mature for her age. I'll say that. She is very sweet.

So I went to meet her mom. Her mom.is disabled. She was pleased to meet my daughter and complimented on what a sweet girl she was. A little bit into it, she sent the girls out to take her daughter's puppy to potty.

She thanked me for taking the time to talk to her. She didn't exactly say what was wrong with her daughter but said, "You'll have to forgive her age. Her body is 17 but her mind is not. She's a little slow and it means a lot to her that Gabby has become her friend."

In all honestly, I'm proud of my daughter for making friends with her. The past few days I've observed the kids playing and see this girl get picked on a lot. From girls her own age to ones that are a little under my daughter's age. It's really sad.

I've told a few friends about it and some family and I have gotten some good and some mean things said. My dad thinks its okay while my mom thinks its messed up that I allowed my daughter to play with a seventeen year old.

Just wanted to share.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:59 AM

my cousin looks normal, meaning no obvious deformation but she is mentally retarded. Her maturity level even at the age of 40 is still 15 or even 10. Some of these kids look just like the rest of us but they are disabled. I think its nice your daughter is willing to play with someone with a disability. My cousin is a sweet girl also, she cannot help her brain doesnt allow her to behave older.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:03 AM
This is what I tried to explain to my mom. She kept saying that she's too old and it wasn't right. My daughter is very mature and knowledgeable for a 10 year old. I trust the situation.

She also has her own issues with her peers. She was born with a cleft lip and palate. Kids used to ask questions but now the ones she's been friends with will call her names when they have their problems.

Quoting thetrollcat:

my cousin looks normal, meaning no obvious deformation but she is mentally retarded. Her maturity level even at the age of 40 is still 15 or even 10. Some of these kids look just like the rest of us but they are disabled. I think its nice your daughter is willing to play with someone with a disability. My cousin is a sweet girl also, she cannot help her brain doesnt allow her to behave older.

thetrollcat
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Obviously your mom has no experience with those with mental disabilities such as retardation. Look at forest gump... He was mentally retarded and didnt have the ability to think regards his own age... Thats just how it is, this poor 17 year old will never be able to relate with other girls her age because mentally she is still ten or so.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is what I tried to explain to my mom. She kept saying that she's too old and it wasn't right. My daughter is very mature and knowledgeable for a 10 year old. I trust the situation.

She also has her own issues with her peers. She was born with a cleft lip and palate. Kids used to ask questions but now the ones she's been friends with will call her names when they have their problems.

Quoting thetrollcat:

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:12 AM
You are right. She doesn't and I believe she lacks sympathy anyway. *sigh*

Quoting thetrollcat:

Obviously your mom has no experience with those with mental disabilities such as retardation. Look at forest gump... He was mentally retarded and didnt have the ability to think regards his own age... Thats just how it is, this poor 17 year old will never be able to relate with other girls her age because mentally she is still ten or so.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:20 AM
I think that's great. :)
BellaByrdie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM

A friend is a foster mother.  She recently had a foster daughter who was 14.  Physically she looked about her age maybe a LITTLE younger.  Mentally she was younger than my 8 and 9 year old.  

They were so sweet to her and would grab her up to play.  And would even talk her into being more coopertive with her foster mom.  

My older girl told me.  Mommy She should get to play too.  Just because she is a little different doesn't mean she isn't  a nice person.  

Sometimes we see the beauty in our children.  

Good for you for raising your daughter up well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:32 AM
I think you've raised your daughter to judge someone's worth based on who they are, not what everyone else thinks they are. That's an admirable quality. And even if your daughter surpasses this friends "level" she'll still be able to be understanding and compassionate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM
The same to you :) The world needs more people like that. My mother wasn't very good at being nice but I took after my father and got his compassion.

Quoting BellaByrdie:

A friend is a foster mother.  She recently had a foster daughter who was 14.  Physically she looked about her age maybe a LITTLE younger.  Mentally she was younger than my 8 and 9 year old.  

They were so sweet to her and would grab her up to play.  And would even talk her into being more coopertive with her foster mom.  

My older girl told me.  Mommy She should get to play too.  Just because she is a little different doesn't mean she isn't  a nice person.  

Sometimes we see the beauty in our children.  

Good for you for raising your daughter up well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I think a lot of her ways have come from her being different. Since she's gotten older with her peers, kids have begun to get cruel. She doesn't let it phase her though. I am so very proud of her.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you've raised your daughter to judge someone's worth based on who they are, not what everyone else thinks they are. That's an admirable quality. And even if your daughter surpasses this friends "level" she'll still be able to be understanding and compassionate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM
These are the same kids who grow up to help with the special ed kids and then go on to have happy fulfilling lives. It's a great thing that she has compassion and if I were you, I would shelter her from your insensitive family members until she is more sure of who she is. She's at a pretty impressionable age and I'd hate for someone to deter her from being a kind person.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think a lot of her ways have come from her being different. Since she's gotten older with her peers, kids have begun to get cruel. She doesn't let it phase her though. I am so very proud of her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)