• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For people who have bought their own home....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
How much of a down payment did you put down? Do you wish you could have put more down or feel that you put too much down and didnt have enough in savings after that?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:05 AM

DUH who wouldn't have wanted to put down more if they could !!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:06 AM
40%.
missmamaof4
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM

we put 10% down.  But after a year we decided that we didn't want a long mortgage so we refinanced our mortgage to a 10 year mortgage.

I would put as much as you can down.

Val99
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

We put down 10% and had a piggyback loan to ensure there was no PMI.  We had enough money in the bank to put down nearly the entire cost of the house, but our financial planner analyzed the options and determine we'd have the largest tax deduction and most available cash for investments if we structured the mortgage this way.  We make much more on investments than the rate of our mortgage so we make money off the bank's loan.

Foolynroo2
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:09 AM

20% down, that was our goal and that's what we did.

We did hae savings afterwards as, a contingency plan is just as important as a down payment, as is buying a home you can actually afford.

Syphon
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:10 AM

On our current house we put down 70%.  On the previous house we put down 100%.

liels898
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM
I put down 60%, I had good credit and everything but I knew going into this house that I wanted to have a house that I owned free and clear before I hit 30. I could have put more down but I knew it would look great on my credit to have something like a house payment that was consistently paid and then paid off in a short period of time. So I just set the rest of the money aside in an account and pay my payment from there.
itsm3
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM

i put down about $175K.  

Ummmmm80
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM
0 down. It was in need of some major repairs.

Thankfully it will be paid off in January.
kzuehlk
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:20 AM
We didn't put down anything. My FIL is a realator and got us a great deal on a little foreclosure. We paid it off completely 4 years after moving in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)