Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kinda upset right now. *long dr vent* *potty edit* another edit*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies

so i took my dd into her doctor's office yesterday because she has been running a alow fever, has had loss of appetite, has been sorta cranky lately, and seemed to be dehydrated. all of this is unusual for her, so i decided to make an appointment because the nurses said they wanted her to come in. well when her doctor comes into the room yesterday, she examined her and did a rapid strep test. before the doctor came in, we had been waiting and i had to change dd's diaper and noticed a sort of rash with small sores as i was wiping her. so i showed it to her doctor, and she said that my dd could possibly have mrsa because 'it sometimes occurs in toddlers in diapers' and she would prescribe antibiotics. she then went on to tell me that i need to start potty training, and doing it this way, and keeping her potty chair in the bathroom, etc...well that pissed me off first of all, because we've been working on potty training her..we just keep her in diapers in public because i want her to get used to going at home first and  then work on going in public. her doctor just assumed we weren't potty training her instead of asking. she was a really good doctor when dd was younger, but as she's getting older her doctor just seems to try to rush us out of her office instead of taking her time. so i'm thinking about asking for dd to be seen by another doctor in the same office. back to the mrsa though...i was looking at symptoms and treatment today, and read everywhere that you need to be tested to know for sure if you have it. so now i'm pissed again because her doctor just prescribed her an antibiotic cream, instead of testing her like i feel now that she should have. so idk what i should do now. her doctor said if it comes gets worse to bring her back, and she will give her an oral antibiotic, but i just don't know if i should take her back and ask her to be tested for it since that's what she thinks she might have also, or if i should wait to finish this round of antibotics and see how that works out. if you have any advice, i would love to hear it. i am just so confused and upset with her doctor right now :/

small edit: the potty training advice isn't the issue. it's the fact that her doctor assumed i wasn't potty training at all instead of asking me if i was or not is why i got upset over that. my dd seems to do well with how i'm potty training her, and isn't getting confused. that's not an issue to me. i'm doing it that way because she is new to potty training, and she isn't very vocal about when she needs to go. she is getting better because i just started putting her chair in the bathroom so she has to tell me. she doesn't go to daycare at all, so it's just myself potty training..not any day care teachers, etc.

*edit 2* so i called the office like a poster suggested, and the nurse told me that they don't do testing for mrsa at their office, so they would have to send me to the lab. the doctor didn't refer me to the lab because, apparently, she had written in her notes that she wants me to use the ointment for 3-4 days and if her sores become puss-filled, then they would be able to do a sample to test. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:18 AM
You're overly sensitive.
SandyLaxner
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Finish the antibiotics,and find a new Dr if you don't like your current one.  Most Dr's are rushing w/pt's bc they have so many to see.  My own Dr is awesome but literally runs from room to rrom seeing pt's.  They are not alloted a lot of time w/each pt unfortunately.

starlight91
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

well thats a new one, Ive never heard of only potty training at home. Sounds like you're confusing your dd, one minute she's to go on the potty ( only at home), but when you go out in public, you wear a diaper and go in that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM
We were literally the only patients in the office, and we waited for over 30 minutes for the doctor to come in. They close their office for lunch from 12-1 and it was around 11:45 when her doctor was checking her. I probably will get a new doctor though.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Finish the antibiotics,and find a new Dr if you don't like your current one.  Most Dr's are rushing w/pt's bc they have so many to see.  My own Dr is awesome but literally runs from room to rrom seeing pt's.  They are not alloted a lot of time w/each pt unfortunately.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

well, she does really good with potty training at home. she is starting to tell me when she needs to go and actually goes. it doesn't seem to confuse her. the only reason i potty train just at home right now is because i'm trying to get her used to being vocal and realizing when she needs to go. then when she starts to understand better, we will work on in public.

Quoting starlight91:

well thats a new one, Ive never heard of only potty training at home. Sounds like you're confusing your dd, one minute she's to go on the potty ( only at home), but when you go out in public, you wear a diaper and go in that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM

because my dd may have a serious infection, and her doctor didn't take the proper tests to find out and just speculated??? or because her doctor just seems to rush and give assumpitions about what i may or may not be doing and telling me what i 'need' to do instead of asking if i do it or not??? cause either way, i'm pretty sure that doesn't make me overly sensitive. besides...i've been having a bad week, so i was already irritated.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're overly sensitive.

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM
As a former daycare teacher who potty trained countless 2 year olds I wouldn't go back and forth between diapers and going potty. Pick a day and change to underwear and never look back.

I think you were being too sensitive over the potty issue and if you truly looked at it I bet the reason you were sensitive is because your daughter isn't where you want her to be potty wise (and then I'd refer to what I suggested on potty training)

Now the mrsa I can understand why you're not happy and I'd look for another doctor on that alone because I don't agree with throwing antibiotics at people and if seems like that's what your doctor did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Um not to be on a high horse, but does this 'doctor' even KNOW what MRSA stands for?

Methicillin-Resistance Staphylococcus Aureus

It is VERY hard to treat with a medication and NOT something to fool around with, not to mention, Mayo clinic has some great info on it, and YES it MUST be swabbed and tested to determine if it's present. I know, my ydd contracted it from her aunt's house, which pretty much needed a flamethrower taken to it after she moved out, ugh!

starlight91
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

well okay, you go right a head and make these things up as you go, but this is a real reason why your dr didnt think you were potty training her, because potty training is done as an all the time thing, not only at home. I'm sure its easier for you to confuse your dd then to take her to the potty when out in public.

Quoting Anonymous

well, she does really good with potty training at home. she is starting to tell me when she needs to go and actually goes. it doesn't seem to confuse her. the only reason i potty train just at home right now is because i'm trying to get her used to being vocal and realizing when she needs to go. then when she starts to understand better, we will work on in public.

Quoting starlight91:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:35 AM

dd isn't in daycare. i'm a sahm. she is only 2 1/2. she seems to be doing good with my method, but the only reason i do it that way is because she isn't vocal about when she needs to go..she has been more vocal because i have been keeping her chair in the bathroom though. i keep underwear on her all day, unless we go out. i'm working up to not doing that though. but the only reason i was upset is because she just assumed i wasn't potty training at all instead of asking..i hate when people assume things.

Quoting Roxygurl:

As a former daycare teacher who potty trained countless 2 year olds I wouldn't go back and forth between diapers and going potty. Pick a day and change to underwear and never look back.

I think you were being too sensitive over the potty issue and if you truly looked at it I bet the reason you were sensitive is because your daughter isn't where you want her to be potty wise (and then I'd refer to what I suggested on potty training)

Now the mrsa I can understand why you're not happy and I'd look for another doctor on that alone because I don't agree with throwing antibiotics at people and if seems like that's what your doctor did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)