Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What time do your kids go to bed?

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is just about 10 months. She still cosleeps, once in awhile we will put her in her crib to start but she usually ends up back in our bed by about 1 or 2 am. She doesn't fall asleep until about 10pm, which I suppose is probably our fault because of the cosleeping. I've read most babies by 10 months go to bed by 7 or 8 and sleep all the way through the night. Not our baby, she has a bottle at about 9:30, sleeps til 1:30, has another bottle, back to sleep til 4:30 - another bottle then maybe 2-3 hours more sleep and up by 7:30am. I don't know how to get her to sleep through the night. We do some finger foods for lunch and dinner but she mainly just gets bottles. My husband thinks she need 8oz bottles but she's always full after 5-6oz. I just want her to sleep through the night. I feel like her schedule is off from everyone else's I've seen online, like she doesn't nap until 11am and then her second nap isn't until 3:30 or 4pm. I try to get her down earlier but she doesn't want to. Did you have routines or schedules for your babies? What were they like?
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Replies (31-40):
snakesNsnails
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM

we co-sleep also..always have and yes the little ones stay up until we go to bed..we have been up later this summer so they are up later, but once school starts, i will start going to bed earlier, so they will also. oh and my lo's dont sleep through the night until age 2 or so. for my daughter it wasnt until age 3.

IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM

School nights: 7:30 is lights out. They don't normally go to sleep until 8:30-9:00, but if I wait until then to make the settle in bed, it's 11:30-12:00 before they fall asleep.

Summer nights: 9:30 is lights out, unless we have an 8:00 baseball game...then we're not home until 10:15 or so.

DH, the baby, and I all go to bed at "lights out time" too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Um..... its actually normal. You are not just a bitch you are also stupid 

Quoting Anonymous:

What? 10 months and still eating during the night???
Are you feeding her enough during the day?
There's no need for that.
I'm not trying to be a rude bitch... Really.
She's to old for that. Break that habit as soon as possible.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Since Naeem has special needs (6 y/o) we stick to a strict bedtime routine.  When there's a change of routine coming up I explain that to him days in advance so he is fully aware bc the slightest change can throw him into a frenzy.  He takes a sleep aid for his insomnia around 9pm.  He is out by 9:30 most of the time.  Sometimes 10pm.  This has him waking up around 7am.  If we gave it to him earlier he would be up around 4 and 5am.  No thanks.  Lol.  Been there done that ;)

Angela_Barlow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM
School year 8.
Summer 930.

April620
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I feed her on demand throughout the day, whenever she is hungry. She is in the 80-90% for height and weight...

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cindilou13
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM

My DD went to bed at 11 staring at 8 weeks...but she would nurse for 1 1/2 hours beforehand and sleep till 11 or 12 the next day...so she was a little unusual.  She would then take a short nap around 4 but otherwise be awake the whole time unlike most babies.  

My DS still woke up 2-3 times a night through 11 months.  What happend to stop it was I had to go out of town for one night for a funeral and he stayed with my parents.  When he woke up my Dad, rather than getting him a bottle, just patted his back and he went right back to sleep.  He & I were just nursing out of habit more than out of need and I didn't know it.  The next night when he woke up rather than pick him I just tried patting his back and voila...he went to sleep.  Sometimes a habit is just that, a habit.  Maybe instead of you getting up with her DH can.  Or try just patting/rocking for a few minutes or giving a paci. 

At 10 months she could also be eating more during the day it sounds like.  DD since she slept so long would have a serving of baby cereal made with milk/formula and a full serving of something else-either bite sized people food or some of the 'diced' todder items, etc.  She would then have a bottle or nurse in the afternoon, and after that if she acted hungry a small appropriate snack (diced soft fruit, shredded cheese, fruit 'poofs', yogurt bites, etc.).   For supper she'd have 2 servings of some kind of food and then a short nursing session or small bottle.  Then a 9 or 9:30 I'd start nursing and at 11 she'd finally be done and sleep all night.  DS ate very similarly except that he got up at a more normal time...so for breakfast he'd have a serving of baby cereal and then a bottle.  At lunch time he'd have two servings of appropriate food.  At around 2 or 3 he would have another bottle/nursing session and then take a short nap.  For supper he'd have 2 servings of appropriate food.  Around 8:30-9 he'd have another serving of baby cereal followed by nursing for about 1/2 hr.  (This was the routine once he stopped waking up at night).

Both mine didn't sleep that much during the day, but every baby is different.  You might try giving her an earlier lunch at 11 instead of napping, then maybe try one long nap between say 1-4 instead of two naps.  I don't know.  Everyone says 'two naps', but mine seemed to do just fine one with 1.  In fact DD stopped taking naps completely at 13 MONTHS!!!  And DS at about 2 yrs. 

I would also stop co-sleeping completely, she's old enough to stay in her crib and once used to it you will both sleep better.

CelestialSong
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM

My 2 year old is awake until around 10pm too. It doesn't matter when bedtime starts, doesn't matter what we do, doesn't matter how much or little or when she napped that day, doesn't matter when she woke up, doesn't matter what she ate, doesn't matter how active she was how close to bedtime... 10 is her magic time.

Our bedtime routine used to start at 7. Bath, jammies, nursing, books, snuggling in bed until she fell asleep. It stopped being worth it when summer started, probably because it's been staying light so late. Starting bedtime 3 hours before she actually fell asleep just became a ridiculous struggly hassle, so I gave it up, and now around 8:30 we go into her room, all lights off upstairs except bathroom, we read books and just kind of hang out until she sleeps.

She's also not really sleeping through the night either. She wakes up and cries for me and wants a hug to get back to sleep. I'd have to be a bitch made of ice to deny her that just so I could stay in bed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM

as a baby my son was a very hard sleeper  kid would stay up all night an still get up ass crack of dawn 

hes 10 now and is very capable of staying up all night  and getting up ready to go early morning 

i have to (by DR order) use meletonin  for him to sleep like a normal kid he gets it at 7 pm so that he can get in bed at 9pm  at least get to sleep by 10 PM 

if i give it late or skip it the kid will lay in bed from 9pm till 1 am  before falling asleep 

but hes not your normal kid :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Totally not normal at 10 months. 3 or 4 yes .
At 10 they should be eating solids and getting full t/ I the day to sustain at night, between bottle/ breast and baby food.

Sorry but I am a nutritionist . And this is an educated comment.

Quoting Anonymous:

Um..... its actually normal. You are not just a bitch you are also stupid 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)