Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 17 year old daughter moved in with her boyfriend

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

She is 17 and starting  her senior  year in the fall. I always thought we had a good relationship. We didn't have many problems and when we did they were not huge (missing curfew by a little bit, having attitude sometimes, things like that) nothing huge like sneaking out, doing drugs, underage drinking, getting arrested. She has been dating her bf for a year now and they have been friends since she started high school. He is pretty controlling and protective over her. I was always hoping that she would find another guy and he would find another girl. I have tried to talk to her about telling him to back off and he has gotten better. 

Well all of a sudden I came home last night and noticed my daughters car was gone. I went to her room and all her stuff was gone. I freaked out! I didn't know what to do I called her phone and I heard it ringing in the kitchen. There was her phone and a note saying "Sorry mom but I am going to live with Charlie". I called DH at work and told him and then I went to Charlies (moms) house and she told me that he had just moved out and the have no clue where he went. 

I called the police and let them know what was going on. But because she is 17 they won't do anything for her as a runaway and they can't make her come home. They can suggest it but legally there is nothing they can do. If we do no hear from her for 24 hours I can file a missing persons report though. 

We spent hours last night in the car looking for her car with no luck. I am sure she is with Charlie and safe but I just can not believe this happened. I can't believe she didn't take her phone and I can't believe she just left. 

I didn't sleep all night and now I am just sitting here hoping she will call. 

I am NOT going to report the car stolen. They will arrest her and she will be charged and then become a felon. (charges will be filed automatically and even if I tried to drop them the DA (? i think that is what they said) will still charge  her)That is not going to help anyone

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight91
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Give her some time she will call, just remember she's almost an adult, dont make it about you. Its about her making her decsions and living with them now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Do you pay for her car? did you buy it?  If so - ring the police again and report the car as stolen. Then - you'll know where your dd is and know she is safe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Yes I did buy the car but if I report it as stolen they will charge her with grand theft auto and she will be a felon which would not help the situation at all. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you pay for her car? did you buy it?  If so - ring the police again and report the car as stolen. Then - you'll know where your dd is and know she is safe.

EAzizM
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Do it. She can struggle on her own without the luxury of a car.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes I did buy the car but if I report it as stolen they will charge her with grand theft auto and she will be a felon which would not help the situation at all. 

Quoting Anonymous:

kitty8199
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Tell them you just want to recover your property. Or just go get it from her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I agree with this - report it. Like I said - it's your car. If she wants to play an adult game and be sneaky and scare the crap out of you - she can do it WITHOUT your money/property.

Quoting EAzizM:

Do it. She can struggle on her own without the luxury of a car.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

kitty8199
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Report her as a missing person. She's a minor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM
If you really are worried, you'll do it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM
It's crazy everyone says report the car stolen. When will she be 18?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)