Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son got expelled

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

Last semester my son got kicked out of the dorms and expelled from school. He was caught with alcohol and marijuana and was a freshmen. I can't the call saying "mom can you come get me I got kicked out of school'. I was very angry. When I got there I told him that he had one week to find a job even if that meant going door to door to do misc things for neighbors until he could pay us back for all of the money we wasted on him going to that school (he got all incompletes and none of the classes counted for anything that semester). Now that school is starting up again he decided to go to community college (which he has to pay for himself) and he is required to take a drug test every month. 

I know marijuana is "not the end of the world" but he has really ruined his life over marjuana and alcohol. On his records he will always have the fact that he got expelled there. The chances of going to another good university are slim. He feels bad for what happened and follows are rules great but he is sad that he isnt at the university with his friends anymore. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Sometimes we have to learn lessons the hard way.

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Lesson learn is what truly matters.

Bethsunshine
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Good for you letting him take responsibility for his actions!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Hard life lesson. It's normal to feel bad for your son. He'll have to work so much harder this way. Maybe he can find a way to use it for good? Be an example for others like big brothers/big sisters type program?
psychomama05
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM

It is a hard lesson to learn, but hopefully he will be a stronger, more responsible adult.

zoegirlsmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM

If your son is truly remorseful and has made changes, he could apply to appeal the expulsion. If the board approves him, he would be on a strict probationary period, with HEAVY monitoring. This would also remove the expulsion from his permanent record.

la-cosa-nostra
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM

sounds like you handled this really well and hopefully it will make a better man out of him in the long run 

jjames1990
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM

He did not ruin his life.  He made a mistake.  You being strict with him as you are, may backfire on you.  Tread lightly.  Children find their own way in life, he obviously wants a future, he choose to go back to college.  

This is my opinion anyways.........

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM

They told us he had NO option of coming back because of the drugs. 

Quoting zoegirlsmom:

If your son is truly remorseful and has made changes, he could apply to appeal the expulsion. If the board approves him, he would be on a strict probationary period, with HEAVY monitoring. This would also remove the expulsion from his permanent record.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Having an expulsion on your record and not being able to get into an university (he has applied to at least 20 for the next semester and was rejected from all of them) Is something that is ruining his life. 

He feels that way, i feel that way, and he understand the punishment. He knows he did wrong and he is willing to do anything to make it better and get trust back from me and my DH 

Quoting jjames1990:

He did not ruin his life.  He made a mistake.  You being strict with him as you are, may backfire on you.  Tread lightly.  Children find their own way in life, he obviously wants a future, he choose to go back to college.  

This is my opinion anyways.........

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)