Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids do not have a bedtime

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

I have kids that are 6,8, 10, 13, 16, 18, 21, and 23 and none of them have ever had a bed time. I do not care how late they stay up as long as they are up for breakfast and ready for the day at 9am. Some of them are night owls and others went to sleep early. If they are NOT up and ready for the day at 9am (not counting if they are sick of course) they have consequences which usually involves hard labor or doing the chores no one else wants to do. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM

My children have to be up at 6 am everyday, so they all have bedtime, eight thirty!

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

great that works for you. My boys had to be up by 6 am or earlier from middle school on. They had early bedtimes. Slept 10 to12 hours right through HS. Summer until HS was different they could sleep til 7 when the day care kids got here.

IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM

consequences for what? you aren't setting any groud rules. you honestly expect them to be up by 9 if they stayed up til 4?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM

We homeschool so we do it a little later in the day. We don't start school work until about 10 or 11 whenever chores are done and the house is clean 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

great that works for you. My boys had to be up by 6 am or earlier from middle school on. They had early bedtimes. Slept 10 to12 hours right through HS. Summer until HS was different they could sleep til 7 when the day care kids got here.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Do you homeschool? I was never able to sleep that late! My high school STARTED at 7:15am!

I don't have a bedtime for my 21mo. He stays up until he's tired and wakes up when he wants. When he is school age, he will have a time he has to be in bed, but he can stay up and read books if he wants.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM

The rule is that you have to be up and ready for the day at 9. How is that NOT a ground rule? 

And yes I DO expect them to be up at 9 even if they went to bed at 4. Usually there is one time where they are not up and they do the punishment and it never happens again. Some of them have never not been up. 

It works for us

Quoting IamMex11:

consequences for what? you aren't setting any groud rules. you honestly expect them to be up by 9 if they stayed up til 4?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Yes we homeschool

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Do you homeschool? I was never able to sleep that late! My high school STARTED at 7:15am!

I don't have a bedtime for my 21mo. He stays up until he's tired and wakes up when he wants. When he is school age, he will have a time he has to be in bed, but he can stay up and read books if he wants.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Mine have a bed time -but they are rarely asleep straight away. I can put my 10yo ds to sleep at 7.30 and he will sleep from about 8pm all night until at least 6.15. (some days even earlier he'll wake up) - but then he can go to bed at 10.30 and wake up bright and early too - he falls asleep very quickly and most days will easily wake up and get on with the day. My 8yo's though - ugh. tonight for instance (note; I'm in another country - it's already pretty late here)  they went to bed at 8.30 - they were still up and talking/playing at 10.15pm. As soon as DD21 (who has no bed time -but a 'light's out' time - out of respect) moves out - I'm seperating them and hopefully that will put all their bedtime nonsense away. I posted on MC months ago asking for help with their bedtime issues (there's lots of them) and got told that I should put my prepubescent son and my adult daughter in the same room together so that the girls could be seperated. haha - uh no - that's just weird IMO. I don't believe in 'controlling' what time my children fall asleep - but I do think that if I send you to bed - it means shut up, lay still and attempt to go to sleep - not sneak through the house to see what we're doing and talk all night.

Kitschy
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

My kids are 5 and 3. They're bedtime is 8pm and probably will be for a many years to come. I feel sleep and scheduling is very important for them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM

We put my 8 (almost 9 year old) to bed at 8:30 but she usually reads until 10. It's summer and she doesn't have to be up at a certain time but she is usually up by 8 anyways. During the school year she sometimes stays up to read but I go back and make sure she stops by 9. She has to be up by 7. If she is being cranky I don't let her stay up though. She's pretty good about monitoring herself with that and doesn't fight it when she is tired. My 7 year old is usually too tired at bedtime to stay up any later than 8:30 so he never opts to do that. I've read that high school aged children's circadian rhythms are different and are actually programmed to stay up later. I don't have any of those yet though but I do remember not being able to go to sleep early when I was that age.  http://www.medicaldiscoverynews.com/shows/crt.html  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)